Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shortage of Black Men in Law (Dismal)  (Read 11921 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Shortage of Black Men in Law (Dismal)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
I think part of it is that the market for Black lawyers in most cities is saturated. Black men having a strong entrepreneurial spirit realize that opening up their own firms is likely to be incredibly difficult. Additionally, the prospects of making bank if you have to work for someone else are better, on average, for a Black man going to business school rather than law school. Finally, I think there's been a stronger push for the Black men with social justice in their hearts to go to med school rather than law school. This reflects the strong emphasis put on math and science on African Americans these days.

I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of indirect and subtle racism polluting the profession.
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »
I just don't think black lawyers are as visible or prevalent as black doctors and businesspeople, and thus fewer aspire to be lawyers.

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
I think part of it is that the market for Black lawyers in most cities is saturated. Black men having a strong entrepreneurial spirit realize that opening up their own firms is likely to be incredibly difficult. Additionally, the prospects of making bank if you have to work for someone else are better, on average, for a Black man going to business school rather than law school. Finally, I think there's been a stronger push for the Black men with social justice in their hearts to go to med school rather than law school. This reflects the strong emphasis put on math and science on African Americans these days.

I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of indirect and subtle racism polluting the profession.

Noooo... Why would you say that? :D

If only they'd put as much effort in putting us through college as they do in  putting us in prisons. ;)
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »

If only they'd put as much effort in putting us through college as they do in  putting us in prisons. ;)

Prison is the path of least resistance since we're already f-in' up.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
Really? It could be the company I keep or, more likely, the fact that I don't keep much company but I do not see much better numbers on the med school side. Of the more upwardly mobile black men I know of most of them seem to have gone the entreprenurial route. Then there are the old heads who spent 20 years with a blue chip (IBM or something) and are just reaping the benefits of longevity. Other than a very successful pharmacist (who funny enough was the "street pharmacist" back in school) I don't see that push for med school. If anything the brothers I know wanted to get a BA/S behind them as quickly as possible and never step foot back in school. They tended to see it as time wasted not making money.

But, again, I know a disproportionate number of wanna be rappers too. So, I'm sure I could be skewed. ::)

I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »
Really? It could be the company I keep or, more likely, the fact that I don't keep much company but I do not see much better numbers on the med school side. Of the more upwardly mobile black men I know of most of them seem to have gone the entreprenurial route. Then there are the old heads who spent 20 years with a blue chip (IBM or something) and are just reaping the benefits of longevity. Other than a very successful pharmacist (who funny enough was the "street pharmacist" back in school) I don't see that push for med school. If anything the brothers I know wanted to get a BA/S behind them as quickly as possible and never step foot back in school. They tended to see it as time wasted not making money.

But, again, I know a disproportionate number of wanna be rappers too. So, I'm sure I could be skewed. ::)

Yes, the numbers of Black men in med school are dismal. I tend to believe however that many blacks who would have otherwise gone to law school because of their desire to fight for social justice opt for med school. Of course, this isn't scientific...just my experience in talking with Black men.
YLS c/o 2009

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
  • The "sole" reason I got myself into this crap!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »

Prison is the path of least resistance since we're already f-in' up.

So sad, but so true...

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »
just seems like it is lower in LS than in med school

Yes, the numbers of Black men in med school are dismal. I tend to believe however that many blacks who would have otherwise gone to law school because of their desire to fight for social justice opt for med school. Of course, this isn't scientific...just my experience in talking with Black men.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »
just seems like it is lower in LS than in med school

I'm a love Dr. baby! ;) :-*
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
 ??? oh my bad took me a minute  :D
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King