Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shortage of Black Men in Law (Dismal)  (Read 11960 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
Shortage of Black Men in Law (Dismal)
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:53:29 PM »
Just wanted to know you all's thoughts on why there is such a shortage of Black men pursuing law school. It seems that given the level of effort in becoming a doctor, enginee...etc there would be a pipeline of black male law students in place. Comparatively,  Sistuhs seem to be doing there thing. It took me two years to after I received my MBA to realize I wanted to go to law school and looking back I don't know why the hell that interest took so long to generate??

Any thoughts

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shortage of Black Men in Law (Dismal)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
When I went to ASW they told me last year out of an entering class of 20 black students 5 were males :o I was like WTF? But its not just law school, undergrand ratios are off as well...
Emory Law Class of 2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
When I went to ASW they told me last year out of an entering class of 20 black students 5 were males :o I was like WTF? But its not just law school, undergrand ratios are off as well...

exactly
Columbia 3L

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:50:22 PM »
shortage is prolly due to lack of support/ lack of others that have done it b4.  No one likes to be the first 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »
http://www.mcgeorge.edu/government_law_and_policy/education_law/wingspread/index.htm

interesting read....most especially the second paragraph (below)

As a result, we face a crisis in terms of the future leadership of the nation. The American bar is 90.3 Caucasian. The American judiciary, more than half of the U.S. Senate, a third of the U.S. House, half the state governorships, and a fifth of state legislators are members of the bar. If the leadership of the United States is to reflect the demographics of our population, if all of our youth are to participate in issues of citizenship and democracy, something has to change.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
Good article.  It speaks to why black people as a whole do not enter into law school, but as to the divide between brothers and sisters that is a separate issue.

My school is somewhat of an anomaly, because we have an even number on both sides, 50/50, in pretty much all 3 years.  But most schools out there are definitely leaning heavy towards the sisters. 

I don't know if we can point to any one factor for certain as the problem, but I submit that at the very least, one relevant factor goes back to the home and upbringing.  Babyboy syndrome strikes again.  We keep pressure on girls to go to school and be smart but less emphasis on the brothers.  Further, brothers are more inclined to call each other "soft" for showing signs of intelligence, whereas sisters don't seem to have that problem among themselves.  Along those same lines, it has been my overwhelming experience that during those crucial years (middle school to high school), sisters are not looking for intelligent brothers either, but rather are more attracted to the "thug" brother or the popular athlete; thus providing yet another incentive to put down the book and hit the gym or get the flashy clothes or flashy car or [fill in the blank with whatever will attract attention from the ladies].

By the time you figure out all that sh!t doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the world, you're already well on your way to scoring around a 145 on the LSAT.

Just my 2 cents. 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
Sisters seem to be applying themselves more. I read an interesting article on the 'cool pose'. This somewhat relates to things mentioned in the baby boy topic. The cool pose has to deal with black males and the way they carry themselves. The cool pose suggest that this is due to early enslavement. Black males had to put up with a lot and learn to control their emotions in order to survive. Their children were taken from them and they even had to watch their own wife get raped. The cool pose suggests that black men learned to hide their anger and emotions. They became non chalant and didn't show their emotions. If they were to show emotions, they would have been harmed. So the cool pose suggests that black men have been hiding their emotions and feelings. Along with them hiding emotions and feelings came other things. Because their children were being taken away from them and seperated during enslavement, the cool pose theory states that black males began to feel like they didn't have to take care of their own children. In today's society, many black males do not take care of their children. In other words, the cool pose is a term that defines the way black men carry themselves. They act cool and tough, but are really hurting deep down inside. They pose as cool because many of them feel that their power is their identity. They feel that they must not show a weakness...those are some of the main points that the cool pose touched upon...

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:13 PM »
Good article.  It speaks to why black people as a whole do not enter into law school, but as to the divide between brothers and sisters that is a separate issue.

My school is somewhat of an anomaly, because we have an even number on both sides, 50/50, in pretty much all 3 years.  But most schools out there are definitely leaning heavy towards the sisters. 

I don't know if we can point to any one factor for certain as the problem, but I submit that at the very least, one relevant factor goes back to the home and upbringing.  Babyboy syndrome strikes again.  We keep pressure on girls to go to school and be smart but less emphasis on the brothers.  Further, brothers are more inclined to call each other "soft" for showing signs of intelligence, whereas sisters don't seem to have that problem among themselves.  Along those same lines, it has been my overwhelming experience that during those crucial years (middle school to high school), sisters are not looking for intelligent brothers either, but rather are more attracted to the "thug" brother or the popular athlete; thus providing yet another incentive to put down the book and hit the gym or get the flashy clothes or flashy car or [fill in the blank with whatever will attract attention from the ladies].

See I dunno about all that. Agree and disagree.  Now, I'm sure the fellas use "I go to law school" as a way to p/u on women.  Prolly works.  And I think girls and women both then and now (certainly moreso now) like a guy that "excels" in (almost) anything, whether it is in sports or academics. 

They pose as cool because many of them feel that their power is their identity. They feel that they must not show a weakness...those are some of the main points that the cool pose touched upon...

"cool pose".  Again, I think that ties into the fact that in a lot of black families, WE are the first to go to LS.  In that situation, no one wants to be the first.  Think about it a lot of black men PLEDGE an org because their uncle did, for example.  So those that do go to LS hide their emotions and yearnings for more support.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

kevbar29

• AOL Instant Messenger - kevbar29
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

By the time you figure out all that sh!t doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the world, you're already well on your way to scoring around a 145 on the LSAT.

Just my 2 cents. 

Well put.
Fall 08: Georgetown or BU (30k/yr)

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 10:19:05 PM »
it's very sad to hear that, but it is the reality to know that young black men refuse to go to school. The problem is not as simple as it might look at first. Believe it or not, lack of proper family structure is it root of it, which lead to bad attitude sometimes.  One of my haitian friend who is senior audit associate at PriceWaterHouseCoopers told me once, even the young black female portrays some negative attitude.
We're not raised in an environment where people are motivated to be the best of themselves. For some, being part of the gangs, or acting thug is the way to go.
It's sad, but you're questionning yourself these can ever be solved.
Kids go to school with no parents' involvement in his life, parents don't go to PTA meeting, and so forth.
I feel bad for us.
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian