Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP...BU v. GW  (Read 3018 times)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: HELP...BU v. GW
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:14 PM »
There's a few things to be done and some things I'm a bit uneasy about, but I think there's a good chance I'm going to be at GW for orientation on Aug. 15.

Polisy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 01:35:45 AM »
You'd be nuts to go to GW.

BU and GW are and will likely continue to be similarly ranked. Don't pay attention to year to year changes. They're both currently T25 schools.

But GW is not worth the extra money. Boston has been a top law school for a long time...GW only recently came on the scene. That's something to consider.

This whole if you want to work in DC then go to GW thing is silly. Remember that DC jobs are difficult to get and, most importantly, they go to the best students. This doesn't imply that being at a DC school makes it easier to get. In fact, it is often more difficult because of the sheer number in the job market.

Go where you feel more comfortable. GW is a gunnerish, large law school. BU is neither. You already have a lease in Boston and seem to be quite comfortable in the NE. Go there, seriously.

Polisy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 01:38:28 AM »
Just glancing at a few employment things, but it seems that GW is more national in reach than BU (not by much though).

This was one of the reasons for my post above. Sorry I didn't go into greater detail -- I started a post and then got distracted. Basically my reasons were:

- Slight edge on "other" markets (e.g. GW does ever so slightly better outside of DC than BU does outside of Boston)
- Facilities advantage clearly goes to GW. BU's facilities are centrally located (just like GW), but they are a bit worn down. Not the case at GW.
- Your preferences in life seemed to favor GW over BC.
- GW is adding a new journal this coming year and may add another, so more students will be getting journal opps there.
- GW's proximity to a huge array of private sector, government, and PI employers cannot be matched by BU in Boston, and I think you'd get much better use out of your summers at GW than at BU, with more choices as far as where to go. This means if you want to specialize you can probably do so in-market, and have the advantages of applying in-market. Federal government + international presence + interest groups + courts + firms = a huge winning combo for DC's legal landscape and people seeking to enter it no matter what kind of law they want to pursue.

Someone's got a lovefest on GW!

The last thing you mentioned is definitely a good thing but don't make it out as if, because one goes to law school in D.C., therefore they will become a D.C. product.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »

BU and GW are and will likely continue to be similarly ranked. Don't pay attention to year to year changes. They're both currently T25 schools.

But GW is not worth the extra money. Boston has been a top law school for a long time...GW only recently came on the scene. That's something to consider.

This whole if you want to work in DC then go to GW thing is silly. Remember that DC jobs are difficult to get and, most importantly, they go to the best students. This doesn't imply that being at a DC school makes it easier to get. In fact, it is often more difficult because of the sheer number in the job market.

Go where you feel more comfortable. GW is a gunnerish, large law school. BU is neither. You already have a lease in Boston and seem to be quite comfortable in the NE. Go there, seriously.
Uh, what?... the schools are almost identical with each offering a few benefits the other doesn't. Choosing either over the other doesn't strike me as particularly notable and certainly not "nuts".

"Extra money" is said as if it's a lot. As far as I can see on LSAC, tuition differs by less than a grand. When talking about a six-figure cost for education nitpicking a three-figure number seems a little silly.

As for GW recently coming on the scene... not sure how I could interpret that to make sense. Both BU and GW have been around for about 150 years... not really new. And as for top law school status, year to year rankings, etc... the rankings are here if you want to see them. I don't see much difference b/w the two there either.

On school size, it's no comparison if you look at total students; but it's worth noting that the 1L section sizes are almost identical, and the total size of GW takes into account 100+ part-time students who likely aren't on campus during the day.

I'm not going to try and speak to job opportunities or gunners as I have between 0 and anecdotal evidence there... and to be honest I'm betting that's true for pretty much everyone else on the pre-law boards. DCB's argument strictly to the location, though, is definitely one of the benefits GW offers that BU doesn't. BU in turn offers things that GW doesn't.

I dunno. I always saw the schools pretty much equally. Equal schools + preference for one over the other = no brainer.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »

Uh...I don't see what your point is here. If I pick GW, it's clearly not because it's currently ranked higher. I realize they're similar schools, but I hardly see why it'd be nuts to go to GW over BU with a preference to be in DC. As far as money goes, the schools are the same price, basically. COL is essentially identical. And, frankly, the finaid package is going to make all the difference in the end.

Polisy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
More firms doesn't necessarily mean a greater chance of getting a job.

I think it's you who doesn't understand...that law firm hiring practices are also dependent on the competition which you face. As a BU student, if you stand out, you can get a D.C. job. As a GW student, unless you stand out, you're just one of 500+ in the market competing against a lot of better schools, too. I didn't say that GW didn't do well...I just said that it's a silly idea that because GW is in D.C., that therefore you'll have a guaranteed job. There's no job that is guaranteed after you graduate...and GW does not give you any sort of heads up over other graduates in that market, because of the nature of the market.

Polisy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

Uh, what?... the schools are almost identical with each offering a few benefits the other doesn't. Choosing either over the other doesn't strike me as particularly notable and certainly not "nuts".

"Extra money" is said as if it's a lot. As far as I can see on LSAC, tuition differs by less than a grand. When talking about a six-figure cost for education nitpicking a three-figure number seems a little silly.

As for GW recently coming on the scene... not sure how I could interpret that to make sense. Both BU and GW have been around for about 150 years... not really new. And as for top law school status, year to year rankings, etc... the rankings are here if you want to see them. I don't see much difference b/w the two there either.

On school size, it's no comparison if you look at total students; but it's worth noting that the 1L section sizes are almost identical, and the total size of GW takes into account 100+ part-time students who likely aren't on campus during the day.

I'm not going to try and speak to job opportunities or gunners as I have between 0 and anecdotal evidence there... and to be honest I'm betting that's true for pretty much everyone else on the pre-law boards. DCB's argument strictly to the location, though, is definitely one of the benefits GW offers that BU doesn't. BU in turn offers things that GW doesn't.

I dunno. I always saw the schools pretty much equally. Equal schools + preference for one over the other = no brainer.

Well, of course! But the preference...is for a market not a particular school. If I'm mistaken then I take back what I said...of course you should go to the school you want to attend.

Polisy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 02:15:27 PM »
Everything I said just went right over your head. "Quantitatively," having more firms interview does not mean greater opportunities, and "qualitatively" your point is well-taken but it misses the overall fact - in D.C., at GWU, you're competing against 500+ people just like you in a market where there are many better schools' graduates attempting to get a job. You've totally neglected this fact, that it is difficult for GW grads outside of the top 1/3 to get a job in D.C. You instead pass off the fact that the school is in D.C. as if they have "considerably better options," when "quantitatively" and "qualitatively," the advantage you gain by going to a D.C. area school can be totally outweighed by the level of competition you're facing.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »
Everything I said just went right over your head. "Quantitatively," having more firms interview does not mean greater opportunities, and "qualitatively" your point is well-taken but it misses the overall fact - in D.C., at GWU, you're competing against 500+ people just like you in a market where there are many better schools' graduates attempting to get a job. You've totally neglected this fact, that it is difficult for GW grads outside of the top 1/3 to get a job in D.C. You instead pass off the fact that the school is in D.C. as if they have "considerably better options," when "quantitatively" and "qualitatively," the advantage you gain by going to a D.C. area school can be totally outweighed by the level of competition you're facing.
Do you have any evidence for either of your contentions -- the first being that simply graduating from a different school (BU) makes you so compellingly different from every other GW student that it'll be a leg up, just because of the different name -- and the second being that it is difficult outside of the top 1/3 to get a job in DC?

I honestly don't know if what you're saying is at all true, and my gut tells me the opposite on both points, which is why I'm asking for any evidence.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »
If I were you, I'd  pretend all the apartment and financial aid issues don't exist right now. Just compare the strengths and weaknesses of each school and pick whichever you like best. A law degree is too big of an investment in time and money to pick based on convenience and the experience/degree will be with you for a lifetime.  whichever you chose you'll find a way to deal with all the annoying issues in order to get there.