Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP...BU v. GW  (Read 3090 times)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
HELP...BU v. GW
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »
Already planned on going to BU (and still do, at the moment) but I was just accepted FT @ GW. Under no circumstances would I have considered a PT spot w/ BU on the table, but GW was my top (realistic) choice from the beginning given my interest in the DC area...

Here's the situation:

I have a lease signed in Beantown; I could find someone else to take my spot, though, if necessary (I think)

That said, I like my roommate, and don't want to screw him over by bailing at the last moment.

DC is closer to my GF which is important to me, but it's not my foremost concern by any means.

I have no idea how long I have to mull this over, but I imagine the clock is ticking...what should I do and why? Hearing other informed people's opinions will be very helpful for me in making my decision.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
Re: HELP...BU v. GW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »
From what you've said, it's a no-brainer.

GWU is a borderline national law school.  Especially if you want to be in DC, there is no question.

Go make your girlfriend happy.  Tell her the possum sent you.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »
Do you want to practice in DC after JD? then GW should be your choice.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »
whats ur financial situation like? i only chose BU over GW b/c they gave me $$ and GW didnt

seems like ud be happier at GW though
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
I don't think I'll have money at either (I know I don't have any at BU due to no supposed "need" though some new circumstances in my life may change that...).

That said, I think GW is more expensive -- right? I'd also have to find a place to live in DC at this late point in the game if I were to jump ship and go to GW instead.

Do people REALLY feel that GW is "better" than BU? I never got that feeling at all...

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
I don't know about BU, but GW is really expensive to go to. Not sure about their tuition, but living costs. It's about $1000 (or even more) to have a studio (with no kitchen) on GW campus. But then, plenty of people there don't live on the campus, and they don't live alone. There are a ton of job and internship and research opportunities in Washington, government, public sector etc. not so sure about Boston.

But, again, if you want work in Washington after graduating, then GW is well-recognized in Washington legal market (it's #2 after Georgetown..). You have to think about whether or not it's Boston or Washington  you would like to work in.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »
BU is a national school and places well.  so is GW.  they are similarly ranked.  GW's reputation is slightly better though nation wide as a more prestigious institution but not THAT much better. i wanted to work in NY or boston adn had no ties in DC at all so it wasnt a hard decision for me (esp throwing in the 15k a year BU gave me) but GW places much bette rin DC then BU would, if thats where you want to work

i would call GW and explain that you have already secured a seat at BU and see if you can get $$ out of them. that worked for me when i got off the fordham waitlist. 
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 01:00:55 PM »
Bump...anyone else have any feedback on this?

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
Basically, since the schools are really so similarly ranked, I think it all depends on where you want to be for 3 years and where you want to practice after law school, Boston or DC? If you can figure out the answer to that question you should know which school is the best choice.

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Let me make it easier for you.

go to GW.