Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important is Phi Beta Kappa?  (Read 759 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How important is Phi Beta Kappa?
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:22:55 AM »
I turned down Phi Beta Kappa because I thought the $70 was too much.  Does anyone think this would have dramatically helped or hurt me?

HappyCritter

• View Profile
Re: How important is Phi Beta Kappa?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:31:57 AM »
It's not going to make or break your application, but it is respected and worth the $70 just to tack it on your resume (lots of people are impressed by this sort of thing).  see if they will let you reconsider--it's just $70.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:37:13 AM »
DAMN!!!!

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:40:43 AM »
I'm really surprised you turned it down--it's not the Golden Key Society. If you do nothing else with it other than put it on your resume it's worth it.
CLS 2011

HappyCritter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:41:26 AM »
I'm really surprised you turned it down--it's not the Golden Key Society. If you do nothing else with it other than put it on your resume it's worth it.

exactly. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:22:52 AM »
cosigned ... any way you can try to get back in?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Pops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
Not to be a broken record, but try to see if they will reconsider.  Not joining isn't going to hurt you in the long run as there are tons of people who have succeeded without being in it.  However, it is one of those things that looks good on a resume (or in the case of law firms included in your bio on the website), even if thats all you do with it.  Personally I joined the history and econ honor societies (I wasn't smart enough for phi beta kappa) basically b/c they will look good on a resume.  Whether it has helped in getting my current job or in getting future jobs I don't know, but it cant hurt.