Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do any of these posts terrify anyone else?  (Read 3045 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Do any of these posts terrify anyone else?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 12:13:32 PM »
Sanjaya has concerts?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

brand_182

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
(and then, of course, there is my high-brow brand of intellectual humor).

You're talking about the dead kittens, right? 
By girlfriend, do you mean that piece of rabbit fur you rub on your d*ck every night?

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »
over-zealous idealism is probably something I for one am trying to get out of my system.  I'm pretty optimistic that law school will be good for that.

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »

In school, 1L grades really help deflate some egos.   :D
Yea I think it's the egos that irritate me.  They don't accept the fact that they don't know everything.  They are constantly condescending.  Filled with excessive pride. I look forward to the first semester experience bringing them down a notch or two.  Then maybe we can all have an intelligent conversation.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »
If you stay away from the LSAT threads, I think it's better.

However, end of this week, early next, I think you see that all of the sudden some of those posters who knew everything suddenly disappear. Getting an "awful" 162 instead of their "target" 175 will often shut them down.

In school, 1L grades really help deflate some egos.   :D

Yes, I imagine this will also shut some of them down. Basically, I think a lot of "overachievers" are used to getting good grades and it is through grades they define themselves. This might be a function of youth and/or insecurity. Maybe they haven't had other experiences in life with which to define themselves. At the end of the day, you will have LOTS of people used to getting As and Bs with only so many As and Bs to go around.

Honneyhush, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are of course going to run into some egomaniacs, but who cares? Let them be full of themselves and you can just do your own thing.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
LSD posters don't worry me. At worst they are assholes who no one takes seriously and mostly they're just silly.

What happened to the women at Yale due to XOXO, though--that freaked me out. The internet is one thing, but when people start dragging that kind of creepy nonsense into real life--at the best law school in the nation no less, I wonder what kind of lawyers they'll be. And yes, I cringe.
CLS 2011

Flame Retardant Spray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
::sprays XOXOHTH.com::

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
To be fair, lawyers and the practice of lawyering are not the most respected positions in our society. Generally speaking, people don't expect much character-wise from lawyers.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »
To be fair, lawyers and the practice of lawyering are not the most respected positions in our society. Generally speaking, people don't expect much character-wise from lawyers.

OP might have been talking about you...
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »
OP might have been talking about you...

Yeah, that's why I got involved in the thread. In reality, I'm probably the most sophisticated and professional person on this thing. I was eating Grey Poupon before the commercials were released and I regularly exceed the expectations of my clients. I think drugs are cool and I listen to rock & roll music that I steal from the internet. I don't eat fast-food and I like my coffee with a little cream. If you want me to get serious mofo I'll get serious!!! I've got a thesis & publication examining the incluence of file-sharig on artistic production in the music industry that would make you *&^% blood from your nose. The problem here isn't me man...it's all these people that think they know what the law is. The law isn't all fancy suits and trust funds man so you best prepare yourself.

By the way Hank, you should check out a band called Menomena from Portland. Gauging from the album covers you post I think you would enjoy. Two great albums Friend & Foe and I am the Fun Blame Monster

http://www.menomena.com/menu2.html or http://www.menomena.com/

"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."