Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do any of these posts terrify anyone else?  (Read 3048 times)

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do any of these posts terrify anyone else?
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »
Let me preface this post with the obligatory disclaimer: I think the information gleaned from LSD is often invaluable and the board is an asset to a well prepared OL.

Now, am I the only one that reads some of the posts here, and to be fair, other unnamed boards and think: "Oh shyt, this fool/asshat/ignoramous is going to be an ATTORNEY!"?

Between some of these posts - and I'm even adding a 50% margin of bullshyt and attention seeking trolling - and the letters to the editor in just about every peridocial i pick up, I'm almost scared to leave my house.

Do you guys find a great deal of posturing, commitment to absolutes, unwillingness to negotiate ideas in your law school experience?

And am I the only one terrified? Not just for myself, but, like, for the country?
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do any of these posts terrify anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »
If they aren't actively strangling kittens while siphoning money from my bank account, anything they do can only raise my opinion of lawyers.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:48:26 PM »
I say silly things sometimes.  I am most worried by this one though:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=profile;u=19715

:-\
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:51 PM »
Don't be so melodramatic.

But as you can see, there are indeed lots of knowitalls in law school.  If that is the type of thing that bothers you, then it will bother you.

I actually don't much care about assholes - it's the sadist in me. I know it bothers them! LOL

but, i read some of the comments or something around here and i CRINGE sometimes.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
Ah, yes, but do you ever dance with devil by the pale moonlight?

Let me preface this post with the obligatory disclaimer: I think the information gleaned from LSD is often invaluable and the board is an asset to a well prepared OL.

Now, am I the only one that reads some of the posts here, and to be fair, other unnamed boards and think: "Oh shyt, this fool/asshat/ignoramous is going to be an ATTORNEY!"?

Between some of these posts - and I'm even adding a 50% margin of bullshyt and attention seeking trolling - and the letters to the editor in just about every peridocial i pick up, I'm almost scared to leave my house.

Do you guys find a great deal of posturing, commitment to absolutes, unwillingness to negotiate ideas in your law school experience?

And am I the only one terrified? Not just for myself, but, like, for the country?

Meh. There are assholes in every walk of life. Are they overrepresented in the legal profession? Maybe. Are they overrepresented on this board? Probably. So what? People are people. Lots of them suck. If you really want to be scared of law school, or for this country even, you can find way better reasons. Don't be so melodramatic.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
One of the biggest things that worries me about the people on this board is how serious they take things and the general lack of humor. There's a reason the majority of the non-lawyering population thinks that lawyers are assholes. People on here seem to want to change into lawyers and adopt the lawyer personality as opposed to putting their own personalities into lawyering. Law is a serious business, no doubt, but there is room for individualism and shennanigans as well. Point being, NEVER TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUS, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S AN INERNET MESSAGE BOARD.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:06:06 AM »
Yes, I have those thoughts.
Some scary people are allowed to get into law school.
However, at least they're relatively smart scary people.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »
Well, I wouldn't say that. Most people here try to be funny, though whether they succeed is a separate issue. Most threads seem to degenerate into mock-flirting, sex jokes or references to Cooley (and then, of course, there is my high-brow brand of intellectual humor).

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »
Don't be so melodramatic.

But as you can see, there are indeed lots of knowitalls in law school.  If that is the type of thing that bothers you, then it will bother you.

I actually don't much care about assholes - it's the sadist in me. I know it bothers them! LOL

but, i read some of the comments or something around here and i CRINGE sometimes.

Examples?

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm accustomed (sorta) to all of the online posturing. Most of the trolls and azzhats on the nets would cry like schoolgirls at a Sanjaya concert in real life, I imagine. But I'm sure its my cheery optimism that would have hoped that a community dedicated to law school might be a smidge better? Instead, its as bad as LiveJournal.

I agree with your assessment of the LSAT boards. :D

I think part of it just has to do with being an online community, and part is that it's young people.  Dunno - I'm only familiar with one other online community and there the lowest common denominator also got the grease, as it were. 

I've sometimes thought there should be an overview of LSD for the over-25 crowd here in the nontrad area.  The culture isn't XO-bad, but it can be kind of off-putting.  If you stay away from the LSAT threads, I think it's better.  I'm biased, though, as I find some of the off-topic regulars very charming.

In school, 1L grades really help deflate some egos.   :D