Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I disclose speeding tickets?  (Read 6752 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I disclose speeding tickets?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »
I unfortunately have another blemish that is a serious mistake that I have satisfied punishment for and I'm worried that it combined with early traffic violations would compound the situation.
If it truly is something that would compound the situation, do you think that the disclosure will go better if C&F finds omissions on your law school application?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
lying on bar application would be different from lying on app.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
It's not that I mind disclosing the traffic violations, it's just that I would rather not show them past judgement errors if it isn't required. I have plenty of time to consider it and gather information, so I'm not too concerned.

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »

it is, i agree, but the point is that a small situation could be made much worse by a lie/cover up
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

sno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »
It's not that I mind disclosing the traffic violations, it's just that I would rather not show them past judgement errors if it isn't required. I have plenty of time to consider it and gather information, so I'm not too concerned.

well, my approach when i was applying was just simply "is this a violation the school is actually looking for when they ask for the disclosure based on the way the disclosure request was written?"...

don't worry about disclosing it...a speeding ticket, imo, is hardly a major judgment error...yes, you may have other things in your past that make you questionable, but i don't think a speeding ticket will make it worse...i mean, doctors, lawyers and judges get speeding tickets...i understand the notion of not wanting to show past judgment errors, but if the school's asking for it and you choose not to disclose, this rather minor past judgment error just became a present judgment error...if they find out, however unlikely, you won't be seen as "he's learned his lesson" you'll be seen as "he hasn't learned a thing and is still trying to cover his ass"
usd class of '09!

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 02:56:03 PM »
Basically, I'm debating making the events that led to my major incident the topic of my PS. If I can write it well, I won't worry about what's required to disclose and just throw everything out there. If I decide I need to switch topics for the PS, I'll be looking more closely into how to disclose these incidents and give them the true impression of what happened.

If anyone has experience with this, PM me if you've time, as I'd love to be more specific and get better details.

sno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »
don't they ask for an explanation along with the disclosure? if so, u don't need to make that the topic of your ps and just explain it as a part of the disclosure...as far as the speeding tickets go, i don't think you need to explain much...just a simple i just failed to check my speed probably would do...

edit: looking back at it, i didn't even explain the reasons for my doing 111 in a 70...just what happened specifically...so u won't need much time/space for your speeding violations...and i'd probably advise against using that as a topic for your ps...unless it's the reason you decided on law or something...i mean, explaining past misconduct should be in the form of an addendum, not a ps where you should be trying to sell yourself as opposed to explaining your misdeeds...
usd class of '09!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
The bar can pull your school app and question you on any inconsistencies.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
i can't believe we're still talking about this...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
Just called NYU, there is no need to disclose speeding ticket.  The girl at NYU actually thought it is hilarious that I was thinking about disclosing.