Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advanced Standing  (Read 2383 times)

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
Advanced Standing
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »
I went to high school in ontario and then to a university in quebec. I was given a few of my oac credits as "advanced standing" blank credits with no grades that basically count as "pass/fail" electives. However my transcript says "OSSD Credit" or something. Do you think I'll have to send in my bloody high school t ranscript for law school apps (canada or usa?)
university of southern california 2011

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advanced Standing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
that sounds like a question for LSAC. But if you're taking wagers, I'll bet on 'yes'. Et pis c'est d'ta faute aussi d'vouloir etudier a McGill.
Penn (2007)

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
Where else? Of all people leaving Ontario to study in Quebec in English, the majority by far would be heading to McGill. A smaller proportion to Concordia, and very few to Bishop. Smart money says McGill.
Penn (2007)

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:40:57 AM »
Smart money is wrong: McGill didn't have my program. Not that I was terribly interested in going there anyway.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
If McGill doesn't offer your program naturally you wouldn't go there.  However, in almost any other situation you'd be foolish to go anywhere else as a visiting to Quebec.  It is hands down the best university in Quebec and this is coming from someone who didn't go there.

I don't think you'll have to send your high school transcripts to either OLSAS or LSAC.  Those grades will likely be omitted from adjusted GPA calculations.   

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
How would I contact either OLSAS or LSADAS for that? just hte main line/email address?

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »
If McGill doesn't offer your program naturally you wouldn't go there.  However, in almost any other situation you'd be foolish to go anywhere else as a visiting to Quebec.  It is hands down the best university in Quebec and this is coming from someone who didn't go there.

I don't think you'll have to send your high school transcripts to either OLSAS or LSAC.  Those grades will likely be omitted from adjusted GPA calculations.   

What if your program is Economics, Politcal Science, any fine arts major,or business? All of these areas McGill is surpassed by another Montreal school. Political science at McGill? Puh-lease. Fine arts? They dont even have a program. Business? Maybe if you want to teach after you graduate...
The only reason you SHOULD go to McGill is if you are studying hard sciences, philosophy, history, or linguistics. If not youre just asking to have your GPA deflated for no reason whatsoever.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »

What if your program is Economics, Politcal Science, any fine arts major,or business? All of these areas McGill is surpassed by another Montreal school. Political science at McGill? Puh-lease. Fine arts? They dont even have a program. Business? Maybe if you want to teach after you graduate...
The only reason you SHOULD go to McGill is if you are studying hard sciences, philosophy, history, or linguistics. If not youre just asking to have your GPA deflated for no reason whatsoever.

seconded. McGill's creative writing CLASS (not program) is pathetic: self-indulgent English students who think they can be poets just because they use a typewriter instead of a laptop. ::)