Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much would a better LSAT retake matter?  (Read 686 times)

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How much would a better LSAT retake matter?
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
GPA: 3
LSAT: 162

I got into respectable T2 schools, but I wasn't entirely happy with the options on the table, which mainly had me emerging from a Villanova-level school with 150k in debt. My parents have offered to help, but still, I have to take all of that into consideration.

Now, the more I look at it, the more I figure that I could score better on the LSAT if I really put effort into it. The first time I took the LSAT I prepared maybe 5 hours, mainly just going over practice tests, and I didn't really work at it.

So my plan had been to get a paralegal-ish job in PA, work there to gain residency while simultaneously taking the September LSAT, and reapply. Finding a paralegal job is bloody tough. I hope the job market for JD's is better than the market for paralegals.

I'm estimating that if I really work at it, I could score in the low 170's. of course, many schools would average the scores. Any thoughts on my plan so far?

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much would a better LSAT retake matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:18 PM »
First of all, nearly ALL schools will take your highest score, so don't worry about the average. 

If you scored a 162 with almost no studying, you SHOULD be able to get close to 170.  With that said, if you're comfortable with taking a year off, then you should only do it if you're willing to dedicate yourself to studying more.  Don't worry about the paralegal job...get any decent job that allows you plenty of time to work on the LSAT.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
well, the finding a legal job bit would be to satisfy my parents, and to see if I liked the practice of law (any other ideas on how to get legal experience?)

plus a lousy humanities major from a state school and a relatively low cumulative (3.5 major) GPA to boot. Just saying that it doesn't seem I could find anything on a level higher than "barrista" with my UG degree. But going to law school should not be a way to avoid the job market for 3 years, right?

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
If you scored 162 on your first, then I think you should do really well, even getting low 170s as you desire next time. Given that you really take this seriously.

Also, I think that if you make a whopping 8-point improvment, the schools wouldn't average, will just take your highest.

hope that helps and good luck.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Definately retake the LSAT.

Like goose said, the job doesn't matter. Being a paralegal won't really help you. Just get a job that will take care of your bills and allow you ample time to study for the LSAT.

With a good score, you could probably get some scholarship money at a top 25 school despite lackluster Ugrad gpa. With a great score, you might be able to crack the top 15.

Most non-top 25 schools aren't worth it unless we're talking about a state school where you can get in-state tuition.

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
Retake it.

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »
As long as you are fine with putting law school on hold for another year, I think you should definitely re-take the LSAT.

rainyday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »
reapply.  you won't regret the improvement. it can mean the difference between funding/no funding, getting in and not getting in.  and it really sounds like you can prep yourself better...BUT, that said, you might want to try and gear up with practice tests now to make sure you can improve...if you see a marked improvement in the practice tests over the next few weeks (maybe with some tutoring/book instruction), it's definitely worth it.  for me it was the diff. between being accepted at harvard and, well, having no shot.