Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 1 or Tier 2 with money???  (Read 6505 times)

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 1 or Tier 2 with money???
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi again, i am still extremely torn...i did get into fordham FT...but for some reason was rejected from uc hastings and ucla...i am still just hearing such horror stories about loyola grads not being able to find jobs and ending up teaching high school!!! i do want to work biglaw, but preferably in California...

High School? Come on now. I highly doubt anyone has told you "horror stories" about Loyola students teaching highschool.

If you want to live in California, go to Loyola. Not even a second thought on this. Even though Fordham's a higher ranked school, it's not going to have as much pull in Cali as Loyola will. People who say that it does are full of it. Fordham is a good school, but it's not a national school. Law firm recruiters will wonder why you went to Fordham when you really wanted to work in California. If you do great at Fordham, sure you'll be able to get a job in Cali fairly easy. However, if you do average (which is most likely), then you'll find the california biglaw market very difficult with a degree from Fordham.

But in the end, go where you'll be happy. If you like Fordham better, go there. Just realize that it may impact where you can work after law school.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
If you can't figure out the answer to this one yourself (hint, starts with F ends with ordham) you probably shouldn't go to law school to begin with.

Denon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
Is going to a Tier 2 law school a fate worse than death? I used to think it wasn't that big of a deal, but reading this board makes me think otherwise...
UGA 2011?

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 11:50:04 PM »
Goaliechica
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

daysofconfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 02:54:28 AM »
Is going to a Tier 2 law school a fate worse than death? I used to think it wasn't that big of a deal, but reading this board makes me think otherwise...

No.

Overpaying for a Tier 2 (or 3 or 4, and to some extent even some Tier 1's) is not a great idea.

Neither is deciding upon a Tier 2 (or 3 or 4, or to some extent even some Tier 1's) that directly competes with several (or more) higher ranked/regarded schools in that direct market.

whats the definition of tier 1/2?  i thought it was tier 1 1-100 then tier 3 and 4?

Denon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
Tier 1 = 1-50, Tier 2 = 51-100
UGA 2011?

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
Goaliechica
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 12:37:13 PM »
Tier 1 = 1-50, Tier 2 = 51-100

This is the standard definition.

It is virtually meaningless.

Yeah, like attending a school ranked number 47 versus a school ranked number 55 really makes that big of a difference.

karlmarx4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »

No.

Overpaying for a Tier 2 (or 3 or 4, and to some extent even some Tier 1's) is not a great idea.

Neither is deciding upon a Tier 2 (or 3 or 4, or to some extent even some Tier 1's) that directly competes with several (or more) higher ranked/regarded schools in that direct market.

whats the definition of tier 1/2?  i thought it was tier 1 1-100 then tier 3 and 4?

forget tier 1 and 2. those definitions are meaningless. you have the top 3 (HYS), top six (CCN) and then the rest of the top 14. anything outside of the top 14, you're going to have difficulty getting biglaw unless you gun hard to get near the top 1/3 of the class. anything below the top 30 or so will be difficult unless you're in the top 10% or top 5%.

if you want to go to cali, get into the highest ranked school you can possibly get into. i guess that's fordham. the cali market is VERY competitive. you have stanford, boalt, ucla, and usc as powerhouses over there in the home market. you also have usd law which has san diego market locked pretty tight. outisde of the t14, it's going to be hard to place at biglaw firms out there in cali unless you gun hard. fordham will place you out there if you rank high. if you get top half of the class at fordham, then you can get biglaw in NYC as a backup.

Loyola is a reeking ttt. it is not well regarded in LA. if you don't perform extremely well there, you have no job options. at least with fordham, you have backup in NYC.

make your decision carefully.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
Goaliechica
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."