Law School Discussion

"Attending" a Canadian and U.S law school at the same time?

Quick background, I'm a Canadian student decided on a U.S T-20 law school, but with a deposit still lingering at a top Canadian LS.  In an alcohol-induced bout of creativity, I came up with the idea that PERHAPS one could attend both at the same time.  Now that I've sobered up and thought about the logistics of such an endeavor, it has lost a lot of its appeal but is it possible?

I've looked into the first year classes offered by the Canadian institution and all save legal writing are graded solely based on a final exam.  

This is based on the assumption that while law schools are extremely difficult to get admitted to and excel in, profs are often hesitant to fail a student outright.  

The plan would go as such:  I would go to the U.S school and that would be my primary focus.  I wouldn't attend any classes at the Canadian school throughout the semester.  About a week before exams at the Canadian school I would use a mix of the legal concepts that I had learned in the U.S (where applicable) and commercial outlines to try and cram sufficiently to pull off a passing grade.  It would take some major doing to assure that I didn't have conflicting exams, however it may be possible to coordinate.

Pros:

- Graduate with a J.D, LLB, BCL (yes this gives away which Canadian school) allowing me to work in the U.S, Canada and Europe.  Everyone loves fancy letters next to their name.

- Have a hilarious story to tell friends and employers.

- The mystique of being the phantom student at the exams that nobody has ever seen before.

Cons:

- Extra 3,000$ a year tuition at Canadian LS + extra flights

- Potentially overwhelming amount of work.

- The sheer absurdity/stupidity of actually going through with something like this.

What do you guys think? Has anyone done anything like this before?  Do you think it's possible?

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: "Attending" a Canadian and U.S law school at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:27:12 AM »
Hypothetically, I suppose is possible.

Didnt Tucker Max spend an entire LS semester in Mexico, only show up for finals, and pass? (At Duke no less)

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:49:35 AM »
I agree with Gilmore.  That sounds like a horrible idea.  The biggest risk is being kicked our of both and not being able to attend law school at all.  If you really want both a JD and LLB, there are established programs for this (ie NYU/York, Windsor/Detroit Mercy, etc).  There is nothing stopping you from withdrawing and reapplying to one of these programs next year. 

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
Didnt Tucker Max spend an entire LS semester in Mexico, only show up for finals, and pass? (At Duke no less)

Don't believe everything you read on the internet... or anything you read from Tucker Max.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advise guys.  I could have sworn I deleted this thread immidiately after posting it.  It's a stupid idea which I have since decided against. 

TrashCat

• My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:45 AM »
Thanks for all the advise guys.  I could have sworn I deleted this thread immidiately after posting it.  It's a stupid idea which I have since decided against. 

The scary part is that there was a time when you might have been deciding for.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
I never would have decided for.  It was merely a hypothetical that I thought was somewhat creative / absurd.  I tried to delete this thread after it was posted because I realized it was a waste of peoples time to respond because there was no chance I would attempt it.

TrashCat

• My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
Lock it up.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »
I never would have decided for.  It was merely a hypothetical that I thought was somewhat creative / absurd.  I tried to delete this thread after it was posted because I realized it was a waste of peoples time to respond because there was no chance I would attempt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IpHHtl8gC4