Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham or Loyola $$$$  (Read 961 times)

losangles18

• View Profile
    • Email
Fordham or Loyola $$$$
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »
okay so i hate the Loyola campus, and fordham is a better school, but with Fordham i will have sooo much more debt... Why is it so hard to turn down money?? i am torn because i like NY and LA...any advice? also is the loyola campus dangerous?? it seems driving home late through that area might be sketchy??

Titus

• MSN Messenger - mhtitus@uark.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matitus04
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - marion_email
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fordham or Loyola $$$$
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Go to Fordham. If you hate Loyola when they have an interest in impressing you, you'll hate it during law school. Turn down the money and go to a place where you'd be happy.

frank2004

• View Profile
Re: Fordham or Loyola $$$$
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
It all depends on where you would like to practice.  Outside of T14, all T1-T2 schools are regional (to a varying extent).  Fordham is a virtual unknown in Los Angeles. The Loyola alumni base in LA is very strong and supportive.  Like or not, alumni are prejudiced in favor of their alma mater, drawing in the case of LA strongly off Loyola.  Basically, Law Firm X, will look to recruit 15 starting associates from UCLA, 7 from Loyola etc. year in year out.  Local schools are feeding grounds for law firms, providing known quality entities.  Loyola has a strong regional reputation in Southern California, while Fordham has a very strong reputation in New York.  Your decision seems to be relatively simple to me: if you would like to practice in LA, definately go to Loyola.  Otherwise, I would choose Fordham, but personally I would prefer to walk out of law school with an extra 100,000 dollars in my pocket.  Don't forget the insane living expenses in New York on top of Fordham's very steep tuition.  Don't forget that NY's biglaw market is notoriously cut-throat.