Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: yes or no to facebook  (Read 3585 times)

More

• View Profile
Re: yes or no to facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »
I imagine it will differ from school to school.  bamf, you will find it indispensable here at BC :) 

My view is that of the wise posters above:  treat it as if it were public, censor accordingly, or make it friends-only.  Mine is friends-only and I watch what I put in my profile picture (which I believe is all people can see in search results).
BC '09
because no one does it like a Jesuit

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 05:12:26 PM »
I feel like facebook might be helpful at times.  If you're not a psychopath and you don't have any risky behavior displayed, it might give people a better sense of your personality and interests.

Like, what if an employer was looking at your favorite books and they were like, damn, these are some good books?

That's how I'd think if I were an employer.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »
yeah, I've been kinda wary of facebook et all ever since getting serious about a job search. I did have a myspace account once-- deleted it because of the amount of spam, plus myspace is kinda garish compared to facebook (insert class comment here).

I didn't have it protected until today though... but anyone outside the network can only see your profile pic, right?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 06:51:40 PM »
Facebook (or really, anything you put on the internet) should be treated as public information, regardless of the privacy settings you put on your profile.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 02:22:11 AM »
Im glad this thread came up, I just changed my facebook privacy settings ASAP. All my stuff was out there :o

for real. i'm glad the thread got so many responses.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 07:17:10 AM »
My view is that of the wise posters above:  treat it as if it were public, censor accordingly, or make it friends-only.  Mine is friends-only and I watch what I put in my profile picture (which I believe is all people can see in search results).

It's not quite that simple.  What if you're friends with a 3L on Facebook who graduates and goes to a firm where they then ask him or her to check on potential interviewees Facebook accounts?

Treat the thing like it's public.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »

It's not quite that simple.  What if you're friends with a 3L on Facebook who graduates and goes to a firm where they then ask him or her to check on potential interviewees Facebook accounts?

Treat the thing like it's public.
Dude, it sounds like your friends suck... My friends wouldn't sell me out.
VIP.

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »
Would a law firm not interview you because you don't have a facebook account and they can't snoop on you?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
Dude, it sounds like your friends suck... My friends wouldn't sell me out.

Doesn't have to be a real friend.  Could be just a Facebook friend, maybe someone you were friends with but had a falling out with.  And it's easy to say your friends won't sell you out when the hiring partner isn't telling them to do something and explaining the consequences when they don't.

quizzle16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »
Would a law firm not interview you because you don't have a facebook account and they can't snoop on you?

This would definitely not happen.