Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: yes or no to facebook  (Read 3621 times)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: yes or no to facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Just adjust your privacy settings and of course, be careful what you put on there. If grandma can see it then it's okay. You never know who in your class with be competing with you for a job and may use something on facebook against you- probably wont happen but it could. Looking through a lot of the 2Ls and 3Ls at my future law school, I am suprised at what people put on their page- especially when I can see it!- I'm not friends with them, just in the same network, and, well I doubt I would hire anyone with any of that stuff.
UMiami c/o 2010

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »
It took a 6-month study to show that people who go to college are more likely to join Facebook (which initially was only for college students)?  Brilliant.

Anyways, I heard facebook started selling info...I haven't looked into it at all, but I copy & pasted a link from Google in case anyone is interested:
http://digg.com/tech_news/Facebook_is_now_datamining_and_selling_your_information

I'm keeping facebook.  I've never posted stupid or drunk pictures of myself yet and don't plan to in the future.  If an employer isn't going to hire me because of an unflattering picture I didn't detag yet or a facebook group membership they don't like, so be it.  They're probably a jerk that I don't want to work for anyway!  :P

Sometimes, I worry that I will be unemployed in three years...

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 11:51:14 PM »
Facebook is a pointless distraction.  There are much better things to involve yourself on teh internet... like LSD.

LSD > Facebook on the networking front

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:58:38 PM »
Treat facebook as public information and don't put anything stupid on there.  Thats all.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 03:37:05 AM »
Treat facebook as public information and don't put anything stupid on there.  Thats all.

TITCR.
Emory '09

LSN

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »
I just went to my first incoming students events this past weekend and I can say that people were very honest about the amount of facebook stalking of other students they had been doing.  But it does seem useful for finding roommates keeping in touch with the people you meet at these events, etc.  I say that as long as you don't have anything stupid up these I wouldn't worry.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
I just went to my first incoming students events this past weekend and I can say that people were very honest about the amount of facebook stalking of other students they had been doing.  But it does seem useful for finding roommates keeping in touch with the people you meet at these events, etc.  I say that as long as you don't have anything stupid up these I wouldn't worry.

Facebook is a terrible idea.  People do stupid and mean things with the internet.  Look at our wonderful little LSD community, it abounds with trolls, flamers, and pranksters that will do anything for a joke.  XOXO is even worse, it doesn't matter if your settings are as high as they can get, these people can still flame you on the internet and facebook just gives them more fuel to add to the fire.  Don't risk it.  Get people's numbers, call them, be professional.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »
How can someone do something stupid and mean with your facebook profile if you don't have anything on there that would allow someone to do something stupid and mean?
W&L Class of 2010

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
Im glad this thread came up, I just changed my facebook privacy settings ASAP. All my stuff was out there :o
Emory Law Class of 2010

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »
Interesting BBC article titled "Social sites reveal class divide"

Essentially, facebook is for college-bound, myspace is for high schoolers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6236628.stm

Here is the original text:
http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html
VIP.