Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: yes or no to facebook  (Read 3529 times)

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
yes or no to facebook
« on: June 25, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
i had a facebook account in UG, but deleted it the day i found out an employer looked at my page. my page was relatively tame, so facebook may or may not have had anything to do with their decision. (i didn't get the job)

for those of you that have or used to have a facebook/myspace/whatever: yes or no for LS networking? i've noticed several 0Ls joining groups but am reluctant to plunge into online social networking world again.

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: yes or no to facebook
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
How did your employeer see your page?  Did you add them as a friend? 

I worry about this... but then realize that I don't let any non-firends see my page.  Thus, I have control over who can and cannot see it.  Right?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
Just set your privacy settings to high so that your friends are the only ones that can access your page. Don't add friends that you dont know. And generally, try to censor your account. I'll probably delete half the stuff on my page when i'm looking for a job.

owlsmid17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
I'm fairly judicious with my FB page, to the point where if there's a picture that may even look questionable to an employer, I untag it (of course, it doesn't hurt that my aunt has access to FB, which kinda forces my hand). Deleting it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but another suggestion is to dial up the privacy settings, so that only your friends have access to your page at all.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later."

Pops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »
Back in the day there weren't the same privacy options as there are now.  You used to be able to see anyone in your network's profile (which would be a problem when looking for a job).  Now you can make it so only friends can see your profile (and pics).  I dont really worry about it.  However, like others, I do monitor it to make sure I'm not being tagged in any questionable pics (nor do I put ANY pics up).  That way, IF an employer would some how get access to my page the only thing they would see is what kind of music I like, my favorite movies, and that I like to golf.  Frankly, if an employer was willing to not hire me over those things I say good riddance. 

Edit: I have several friends who just graduated from law school and got jobs with Vault top 20 firms in NYC, and they all have facebook accounts.  Judging by what I see on their profiles, they all stuck by these "rules" and it seems to have worked out fine for them. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »
I have an account and find it quite useful.  :)
HLS 2010

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »
Interesting BBC article titled "Social sites reveal class divide"

Essentially, facebook is for college-bound, myspace is for high schoolers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6236628.stm

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 04:54:23 PM »
technically, one of the people interviewing me was still registered on facebook as a student at my school, so she was able to see my profile. by default, people can see your page if they're still enrolled at your school. but you're right, i can go ahead and set my privacy settings to restrict everyone unless i've added them as a friend.

Interesting BBC article titled "Social sites reveal class divide"

Essentially, facebook is for college-bound, myspace is for high schoolers.

i'm glad you posted the article. that pretty much confirms what i thought years ago when i first saw facebook and compared it with myspace.

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »
I have an account and find it quite useful.  :)

how's that?

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
Facebook is all the rave at my LS- just be careful what you put on your profile. You'll be considered a little "off" here is you don't have an account. Plus it's a great way to stay intouch iwth your contact from UG which fall into hte "networking" thing that firms encourage you to do.