Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I need a car in Arlington, VA for GMU law?  (Read 536 times)

thedudebro

• View Profile
Do I need a car in Arlington, VA for GMU law?
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »

dylanc47

• View Profile
Re: Do I need a car in Arlington, VA for GMU law?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
Hello. I live in DC and have for 2 years now. you definitely do NOT need a car. The metro runs several places in Arlington and right up to GMU campus. However, I will say that there is a pretty strong bias against those that don't live in the city, at least there is within the circles I travel in. Arlington will become such a hassle, and it's honestly not that much cheaper. I live in NW DC and bike everywhere. Cars are unnecessary.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
It's doable; most people in that area have cars, but traffic and parking can both be a major hassle, so if you can find a place to live near campus or near a close metro stop, you could definitely get by w/o a car.  Biking would be a good option when the weather's decent, but I think biking in January and February would suck pretty badly.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:33:09 PM »
Arlington is well-served by the metro, but my friends who live there still have a car. They use it more for when they want to LEAVE the DC area though.
VIP.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
I lived in Arlington for about two years while I was in college.  You don't need a car because you really can get almost anywhere you want to go using public transportation, but I had one because my apartment building wasn't overly close to the Metro and I would have had to take a shuttle to get on the Metro at either the Pentagon or Pentagon City.  So I guess my answer is...depends on where you live.

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »

factor in the weather and your tolerance for city dwelling.  it can get hot + sticky waiting for the metro at times.