Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For Profit Reccomender? Screwed?  (Read 605 times)

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
For Profit Reccomender? Screwed?
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:38:20 PM »
Hi All:

I have been going to school full time and working full time, mostly because I'm insane.  Most of the classes I've taken were online so I don't have very close relationships with many professors (although I do have one from a teacher I have worked with for three classes). 

My other three LOR's are coming from my colleagues at work.  I am the Associate Director of Financial Aid at a large university (that happens to be for-profit).  I've been there for three years, and I've done a lot of positive stuff there (been invovled with many groups, projects, initiatives, etc.)  In fact, I am writing my PS about the educational landscape in america and how online for profit education will impact it (tieing in my own experience of course).

My 4 LOR's are as follows:

1.  The Vice Chancellor (this is not a "prestige" LOR--I have a very close relationship with her)
2. The Director of Financial Aid for Continuing Students (I have worked very closely with him as my immediate supervisor for the duration of my employment)
3. The Director of Financial Aid for New Students (he and I have always had a great working relationship)
4. One from my business professor with whom I have had three classes.

I am applying to all T20 schools, and I am concerned, to some extent, that they will have some sort of stuck-up problem with the fact that my LOR's are coming from employees of a for-profit school.  I have a lot to say about the for-proft model, some good, some bad, but it's not like I can really do anything else, as this has been my only "real" full time job. 

Thoughts?
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Tesseract314

GPA: 3.95
LSAT: Jun 07=One-sixtycrap

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: For Profit Reccomender? Screwed?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
What matters most is that your recommenders know you well and can say something meaningful about you.  It might help to get at least one academic LOR, especially since you're still in school, but your situation makes that difficult.  I wouldn't worry about the fact your LORs are coming from people affiliated w/ a for-profit institution.  But you might want to see if there's anyway you can get a meaningful rec from a professor.  As much as your current recommenders can say about you, they won't be able to talk about your academic performance (at least not convincingly to an adcom), and really that's what's most important for something applying while still in school.
Yale.Law.School.2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
I do have one very good LOR from a Professor of Business at my school.  I've had him for three classes, so hopefully that will be enough.
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:33 PM »
I do have one very good LOR from a Professor of Business at my school.  I've had him for three classes, so hopefully that will be enough.

Then you're in a good position.  4 LORs from people who have meaningful things to say about you is far better than most people have.
Yale.Law.School.2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:42 PM »
The other thing I thought of as a mitigating factor is that these others, while not professors, ARE employees of a University.  In addition, the VC does teach a few classes--you think I should have her mention that in the LOR?  That would sort of make it like a second "academic" LOR...