Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Decision ???  (Read 6796 times)

P-155

• View Profile
Re: Bad Decision ???
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:15:12 AM »
Thanks Gilles. Though I think you should have a look at the numbers at lawschoolnumbers.com --- I know two engineer majors who've gotten in w/ numbers less than that (Harvard).One of them being from Canada (Waterloo).A school that isn't even that recognizable internationally.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?cycle=4&school_code=0008&action=search

W/ a fair balance in GPA & LSAT score, it is quite achievable.

rpk8785

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
P-155: for the love of Jesus, do the LSAT, get your mark and then come back here with your Harvard and Yale talk.  You clearly have not done much research on this yet. In all honesty, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you think that if you go in 'with a straight mind' having studied you're going to end up in HYS territory - I've seen it happen many times.  Plus, if you had actually done research, you would have found out that there really aren't any guarantees at Harvard or Yale, even with amazing grades (3.8 really is not that amazing) and an incredible LSAT. 

If it happens, then wonderful - go.  But 99 times out of 100, it won't, so don't expect it or come in here citing faceless LSAC statistics talking about what you should be doing to 'plan' for it.  Until you get your score all you're doing is deluding yourself with visions of non-existent grandeur.

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »
rpk8785, thanks for that wonderful post:P !! It seems as if you have a problem with reading comprehension. As I stated in my posts, I would love to attend these schools, but if it doesn't happen, what difference will it make? You folks talk as if one cannot be successful without attending Harvard or Yale. I am optimistic, and yes I do think a 3.8 GPA (95%) out of 4.0 (100%)from U of T is damn near gorgeous. I worked hard for the sh*t, so don't come talking that horseshit about "it really isn't that great". You're obviously one disgruntled person. If I get a 165 on the lsat and stayed in Toronto. Frankly, I wouldn't give a flying f^ck! Once again, thanks for the response.

rpk8785

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
Who's the one with the reading comprehension problem?

Moron.  Have fun at Cooley.

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »
Ohhh Cooley! I'm assuming you got the point. Get a f^cking life!

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 04:07:49 AM »
I am optimistic, and yes I do think a 3.8 GPA (95%) out of 4.0 (100%)from U of T is damn near gorgeous. I worked hard for the sh*t, so don't come talking that horseshit about "it really isn't that great".

Again, let me state that I wish you the best, and if anything is to be gotten from ... hum ... 'overly frank' posts, it's that you should really worry about such things after the LSAT. That is, IF you chose to get something out of those posts.

Now for the quote. Some of us do recognize and appreciate that a 3.8 from U of T is amazing. the problem is that USNEWS does not. To them, all 3.8's are the same, be they from U of T or from Ivy league state. Grade inflation is real, and some schools in the US have been hit hard. The schools really know what it's worth, but they're playing the ranking game, so the 3.85 from any old TTT is worth more, sadly. The moral is that you should have majored in Poli Sci  ;D  But, really ... LSAT. Keep us updated.
Penn (2007)

chucky

• Sr. Citizen
  • The bright side of our future biglaw slavery=420hp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »
P-155: for the love of Jesus, do the LSAT, get your mark and then come back here with your Harvard and Yale talk.  You clearly have not done much research on this yet. In all honesty, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you think that if you go in 'with a straight mind' having studied you're going to end up in HYS territory - I've seen it happen many times.  Plus, if you had actually done research, you would have found out that there really aren't any guarantees at Harvard or Yale, even with amazing grades (3.8 really is not that amazing) and an incredible LSAT. 

If it happens, then wonderful - go.  But 99 times out of 100, it won't, so don't expect it or come in here citing faceless LSAC statistics talking about what you should be doing to 'plan' for it.  Until you get your score all you're doing is deluding yourself with visions of non-existent grandeur.

Although this guy is taking the more direct approach (ie. a bit rude) I think he is right on a few points. You really need to take the Lsat before you even start making tenative plans about H or Y. He's also right that even with a great Lsat score (99th percentile), you still aren't guaranteed anything from either of those institutions. Making a post like this before you've taken the test to most people comes across as either arrogant or naive...and either one of those options in my opinion just makes your look stupid on a board like this (even though you did get a 3.8 at U of T which you should be proud of)...so ya, take the test first...if you hit the 175 range, then you can start making hypotheticals like this and people will take you seriously...

...anyways, good luck.

P.S. I understand your original topic was on the value of the Y or H degree, not whether or not you could get in, but your assumption of admittance is so huge that it makes your original topic ridiculous...therefore the response.

Also, to address your original topic, the value of the H or Y degree is pretty significant (no matter which side of the border you choose) and I think you'll have a tough time coming up with a set of career circumstances that would justify turning either of them down for U of T.

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 03:34:36 AM »
Chucky & GillestheGreat, thanks for your response. You're right. I know a degree from both institutions are valued. I didn't mean to come off as being arrogant, but I like going into something being confident. Though, not over confident. That is why I made it clear that it wouldn't matter all that much. A degree in any other school would be just fine. Again, I will take both of your advice and try to do well on the LSAT. Thanks for the post.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 04:43:03 AM »
Nope, if you're Canadian, which law school you go to makes no difference. Canadians are so prestigious by nature law firms will be lining up to hire you anyway.

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »
Definetly. Hopefully, I can also attend a few of those seminars to boost my confidence. I'm assuming the LSAT is out of 180? How is 95% a bad score? I'm pretty sure you can push your luck with a 171, good GPA, excellent personal statement and outstanding EC's.

You should definitely do a bit more research on the LSAT.  The 95th percentile is definitely not a bad score, but it is does not equal 171 (98th percentile).  You can't just multiply 180 by whatever percent to figure out what score equals what percentile.  First, the range of test scores is actually 120-180, not 0-180.  Second, LSAT percentiles shift every few years as they have nothing to do with the percent of questions you answer correctly but rather how people perform relative to each other.