Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Decision ???  (Read 7066 times)

P-155

• View Profile
Bad Decision ???
« on: June 23, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »
Is there any point in attending Harvard or Yale if you're a Canadian student? My plan is to pratice in NY for a while then return to Canada. Is this a bad idea? I'm worried that I would have to start from the bottom. There is no question that Canadian firms would love the fact that I attended such prestigious institutions. There are also alot of firms in the U.S. with sister firms on Bay St. Therefore, it shouldn't be much of a big deal. Right?

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Decision ???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:47:22 PM »
You got accepted to Harvard / Yale?

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
No I haven't. I've actually took some time off to earn money to help finance law school. However, I am planning and somewhat confident. If I do not get accepted into these schools, it will not deter me. One can be just as successful attending another school. Well, can you guys provide some valuable opinions? I need to plan ahead...

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
If you can get in to Harvard / Yale you should absolutely jump on the opportunity.  Whether you stay in the U.S, come back to Canada or try your hand in Europe or Asia, a law degree from one of the top 2 schools in the world will benefit you enormously.  Keep in mind that to come back to Canada you would have to take a 1 year LLM but once you got that out of the way you would have Bay Street firms literally tripping over themselves to hire you.

Out of curiosity what is your undergrad GPA and LSAT score?

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
MorningStar, I have a 3.8 GPA from UG. I haven't completed the LSAT yet, but I feel as if I study and go in w/ a straight mind, I could be successful on the LSAT. However, I need to spend some time working on my EC's etc...

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
You're in good shape.  Ace your LSAT and all your doors should be open in Canada and the U.S.

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »
How are your LSAT scores and how did you find the test?

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:22:46 AM »
I got 95% on it.  Not a fantastic score (wouldn't get you in to Harvard / Yale) but pretty decent.  I didn't find it too bad.  Best advice I can give you is to just practice, practice, practice and just get really comfortable with the test and the kinds of tactics they use to try and trick you. 

P-155

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »
Definetly. Hopefully, I can also attend a few of those seminars to boost my confidence. I'm assuming the LSAT is out of 180? How is 95% a bad score? I'm pretty sure you can push your luck with a 171, good GPA, excellent personal statement and outstanding EC's.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 07:31:16 PM »
Though I wish you all the best, 3.8 and 171 will not get you into Yale, and maybe not Harvard either. But, as you point out, you will not be detered, and you shouldn't be. Just realize that there has been significant inflation in US GPAs, and that the LSAT will be very, very important. Keep working on those ECs, and best of luck.
Penn (2007)