Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Decision ???  (Read 6812 times)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Decision ???
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »
Second, LSAT percentiles shift every few years as they have nothing to do with the percent of questions you answer correctly but rather how people perform relative to each other.

While this is correct, I'm not sure I'd say that LSAT percentiles shift every few years. 98th percentile will always be a 171, etc. It's just that each individual test varies in difficulty, and so they need to convert it to the 180-scale differently.

In any case, A 3.7 with a 95% on the LSAT will not get you in Harvard or Yale, unless you've done some very impressive extracurriculars. (A Nobel prize might help.)

As everyone says, just study hard for the LSAT, write the LSAT, and then evaluate which schools you might get into, and if they're worth it.

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 05:09:39 PM »

While this is correct, I'm not sure I'd say that LSAT percentiles shift every few years. 98th percentile will always be a 171, etc. It's just that each individual test varies in difficulty, and so they need to convert it to the 180-scale differently.

In any case, A 3.7 with a 95% on the LSAT will not get you in Harvard or Yale, unless you've done some very impressive extracurriculars. (A Nobel prize might help.)

As everyone says, just study hard for the LSAT, write the LSAT, and then evaluate which schools you might get into, and if they're worth it.

Yes, percentile shifts are not dramatic.  Interesting you brought up 171 though, as a few years ago it was 99th percentile ;D.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

Well, it shifts for every test, but very minutely. the "score to percentile" ranking is based on tests administered the last three years Thus, the scale for this last test was based on Feb 2005 through Feb 2007 tests. Nitpicking, I know.

titcar.

eudaemonist

• Its totally inappropriate, lewd, lascivious..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
I think you would have about a 25% chance (at best) of getting into H with your gpa plus a 171. Yale you need 175 or over. I think most everyone is this H and Y category has "amazing" EC. Then you also need 40 something grand a year for tuition and money to live in a foreign country or working whilst on a student visa.  Average graduate salaries for Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Stanford, Penn State all seem to be the same from the numbers I have seen and in line with H. H and Y have great rep obviously, but I dont think they will greatly influence (compared to other ivy league and top schools) your earning potential in private law. If you want to be a judge or something like this, a disproportionate number of grads from Y go on to fill these and academic law positions, booooring.....

I guess so many people romanticize over H and Y so all the  talk seems pretty pointless unless you have the numbers. Do some serious research of your own, I cant see many prospective H and Y students needing guidance on whether or not its a good school choice or this and that seemingly bizarre inquiries, its like telling a nobel scientist how to direct his research. If you've actually got it in you, you'll just do it, boom. Just do it!!!