Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.3 GPA, 176 LSAT ... chances at NYU/Columbia?  (Read 5782 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
3.3 GPA, 176 LSAT ... chances at NYU/Columbia?
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »
Hey, guys,

3.3 GPA in Poli Sci, 176 LSAT, coming straight out of undergrad (Top 10) ... What exactly are my chances, and how do I play my strengths and weaknesses? (bad grades in chem and math freshmen year, weed-out classes ... I can explain in an addendum?) My priority is actually being in NYC if I can help it (for the person I love). So--will Columbia and NYU even look at me??

Thanks

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.3 GPA, 176 LSAT ... chances at NYU/Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »
I think you're pretty much set at CLS and NYU. Those two seem to like lsat a lot- especially columbia. Definately go for HYS since who knows, you may get in. Although Stanford and Yale are probably far reaches due to your gpa. Also, cast a wide net because i'm sure you'll get a lot of money from a few other t-14s. Goodluck.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
Why go for HYS if he/she wants to be in NYC ???

You're looking very good for both CLS and NYU, you'd get into one of them almost certainly. Especially if you can 'explain away' some bad grades. Fordham would probably offer you big bags full of money too, if law school debt is something that worries you. NYC isn't the cheapest place in the world to live.

Ravynous Elegance

• Sr. Citizen
  • aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:43:47 PM »
I had a 3.2 and a 169 LSAT. I got waitlisted at NYU, then rejectedf from the waitlist (really early but whatever). I applied on literally the last possible day to apply. I think you'll be fine. the lsat matters more than anything. Also, I had low grades due to Chemistry and Orgo and Physics, and I explained it in an addendum that highlighted what I learned from taking the courses rather than complaining about the difficulty and the resulting low grade.

You'll be fine. Just make sure that your PS and other essays and LORs are amazing if you're at all worried.
Vanderbilt University School of Law 2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
According to LSN, you're probably in for a waitlist at both schools.  The fact that you're coming straight from undergrad doesn't help your low GPA either.  Make sure you submit a good addendum for the GPA, and you'll have a shot. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

thedudebro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
To the OP: killself.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »
Why go for HYS if he/she wants to be in NYC ???

You're looking very good for both CLS and NYU, you'd get into one of them almost certainly. Especially if you can 'explain away' some bad grades. Fordham would probably offer you big bags full of money too, if law school debt is something that worries you. NYC isn't the cheapest place in the world to live.
I think it would be dumb to give up hys for a person you love. If that's true, she can wait a few years.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:38 PM »
Thanks, guys--appreciate your input ...

What would that "good addendum" look like?
(I think a lot of freshmen can make the same kind of mistake of earning two Cs first year)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:19:23 PM »
Thanks, guys--appreciate your input ...

What would that "good addendum" look like?
(I think a lot of freshmen can make the same kind of mistake of earning two Cs first year)

Just be clear and quick.  Don't whine, don't tell long-winded stories.  Have some people on here proofread if you'd like. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:31:37 AM »
According to LSN, you're probably in for a waitlist at both schools.  The fact that you're coming straight from undergrad doesn't help your low GPA either.  Make sure you submit a good addendum for the GPA, and you'll have a shot. 

Thank you, Hank, for bringing up lawschoolnumbers.com, which will give you much better and comprehensive information than random posters here.

My numbers are similar to yours, and I got into NYU with a good scholarship, and was deferred and then waitlisted at Columbia.  From what I've seen this cycle, it seems that NYU is more easily impressed by high LSATs than CLS.  But really, LSN will be the best resource by far to consult.
UPenn '10