Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MEFA - Massachusetts students  (Read 1777 times)

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
MEFA - Massachusetts students
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:28:01 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with or heard any reviews of MEFA?  I'm debating using it instead of Direct for my Stafford Loan, since the breakdown on HLS's website seems to favor MEFA.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MEFA - Massachusetts students
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
i used it for undergrad. can't really say too much about it since i havent really had to deal with it yet, but when i called them up this summer to defer till after law school, they were always nice. if the numbers are good i would say go with it

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
i use it now for law school. i thought it was the best package deal.
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I don't know what to think.  It looks good, but I talked to 3 reps and none of them could tell me how much it would cost me in the end.  T.H.E., which doesn't look as quite good, quoted me at around $85K (for max on both staffords) with the monthly rebate.

I'm almost ready to flip a coin.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »
I went for it, but it's been a couple weeks so I can't recall my exact decision-making process.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
I went for it last year (rising 2L here). But like Jmart603, can't really say too much about it since i haven't really had to deal with them.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Vercingatorix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 12:14:07 PM »
I was debating between MEFA and THE for my Stafford loans.  I ended up going with THE, because the interest rate reduction comes immediately (rather than having to be earned as with MEFA).  If you make four years worth of on-time payments, MEFA will give you some great reductions.

I also went with THE because their handling my Grad+ loan, and I figured it would be easier to have them handled by the same corporation.

I think that MEFA and THE are the best choices for the Mass law student's staffords.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
I used MEFA for a private loan, and they were great during the application process.

They called me whenever they needed anything and gave me the direct number/name of the person to speak with.  They were friendly/helpful, and their percentage rates were lower than PLUS.