Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I ask them to reconsider?  (Read 1205 times)

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can I ask them to reconsider?
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »
I was recently "let go" from a waitlist at one of my top schools. I was looking at LSN and noticed that they accepted another URM like myself, with an LSAT score not too high above mine and a similar GPA. This person did not accept the offer and withdrew. This just made me wonder if I can call or e-mail and ask if they would possibly reconsider my application.  Would this be a waste of time? Has anyone done this and had success? I know it is getting late in the season and people are basically locked in now, maybe that could help me since they didn't get the people from the WL they thought they would? I don't know what to do, if anything, but I would appreciate the feedback.

sneaky

• View Profile
Re: Can I ask them to reconsider?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:38:18 AM »
i think you are making the assumption that the school had a spot that they were either going to fill with you or the individual who ended up withdrawing, and that now that spot is open. obviously you have nothing to lose at this point by contacting the school. good luck.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
You have nothing to lose by asking but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
UMiami c/o 2010

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »
This will be a waste of time and energy.  Focus your energy on schools you've been admitted or W/L to.  Once you're rejected, you pretty much can't ever unring the bell.  W/L is a different story.  Rejected, it's over.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:49:10 AM »
While I agree with the above poster that it would most likely be a waste of your time and energy, if you really want to do it then it can't hurt you, right?  It's not like you actually have anything to lose by doing it.  I doubt it will help, but if you think its worth trying then it is.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:57:33 AM »
Personally it would hurt me in terms of more stress and unhappiness.  But that's just me.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

joe1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
hypothetical- what if you were admitted to a school (with $)then declined politely due to family reasons to stay closer to home. you can't expect them to retake you , right?

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
I don't think it will hurt anything to let them know I appreciated the position on the WL and ask them to keep me in mind in case there are any changes.

ctown

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
You are basing your assumption that they have a spot completely upon LSN, and therein lies your mistake because the majority of LS applicants do not use LSN.  It doesn't hurt to call, just don't get your hopes up.

grammar edit...missed an 'a'