Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlist, Do schools have the decency to call you?  (Read 717 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waitlist, Do schools have the decency to call you?
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
I have heard that some schools will not even reject you from their waitlist, whether its by email, letter, or phone.  Is that correct?  I find it hard to believe that some schools will send out a letter notifying you that you have been placed on a waitlist and they won't send a letter rejecting you...

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waitlist, Do schools have the decency to call you?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
Isn't the waitlist where you app goes, pending an available seat? I mean, how could they send you a rejection if they'd be willing to offer you a seat if one became available on Sept 1st? The way I understand it, the waitlist is the second-string of acceptances, where schools fill their seats once they've gotten back the no's from their first choices. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding things here...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
Some schools will drop some of the students from the waitlist and will send them a letter/email informing them of such.

Others will just let the summer pass, and if school starts and you haven't been offered a spot, well then..

Some schools allow you to specify the last date by which you want to remain on the wait list (i.e., early summer, mid summer, right before school starts, etc.) based on the amount of time you'll need to find housing, financial aid, etc.

The school can wait until the day before school starts to notify you of an available spot, but that might not be feasible for each student.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »
this is why you don't count on being WL, Accepted ... some places will just let you sit there till school starts.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
To be brutally honest, if they gave a crap about whether you go to their school or not, you wouldn't be on the waitlist.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »
To be brutally honest, if they gave a crap about whether you go to their school or not, you wouldn't be on the waitlist.

Agreed.  If there was any "decency" in their hearts they wouldn't have done you the disservice of stringing you along all this time.
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »

Tag
Washington University School of Law 2010