Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nontrad forums  (Read 3407 times)

MachuPicchu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nontrad forums
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »
I had a similar experience to the OP--I moved on to the Students/Grads board at the admin's behest and offered some advice on my current/former field (in which I have a graduate degree and have worked for five years) to a rising 2L considering dropping out of law school to pursue a career in the field I am leaving.

My post received several negative responses from current law students who expressed contempt for  OLs (including non-trads) who offer advice to current students. Although they seemed to have overooked the fact that my post centered on job opportunities in my field of expertise, it got me thinking about how much even current law students know about post-graduation issues.

The students with whom I've spoken--certainly the 1Ls and 2Ls, but also a 3L or two-- have indicated that they know little more about some aspects of post-graduation life than they did going in, and that the place to go for some answers is "young" (recent graduate of any age) associates who have passed the bar and worked for a year or more in a market in which you're interested. I have taken this advice to heart by seeking out such people to ask them my questions--in most cases, I noted a marked difference between law students' advice and that of lawyers who have worked at mid-to-large firms for the past few years.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »
As a newly minted 30 y/o who won't be attending LS until she's *gasp* 31, let me tell you that you won't hear me crying about being old - i'm of the stay silent and moisturize and they'll think you're 25 mindset! LOL

Yeah, i'm sure I'm old. I have a mortgage, a divorce and a series of mid level crappy jobs behind me. BUT I like to think that knowing what it's like to live in a Dilbert comic strip and having experience with the "gray" areas of life that one often just can't see at 21 means I'm a whole lot less stressed by the process and relaxed enough to enjoy learning the law. I'll take that over my 25 y/o boobs any day. Ok, fine, I'm lying. I'm going to law school to make the money to put my boobs back at 25 year old status. But, whatever. I'm mature enough to research plastic surgeons first.  ;D

People who talk about feeling old at 30 make me want to cry!  I'm studying now to take the Sept. LSAT and hope to start law school (UH or STCL - another T4) in the Fall 2008 -- at the "you're-only-as-old-as-you-feel" age of 39.

After a recent divorce, I decided that if I was going to have to start over I would do it in a big way.  I've always wanted to be a lawyer and I determined that if I didn't go for it now, then I never would.

And I will agree that as "older" people we can still party -- it just takes a little longer to recover than it used to!

I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
Ok, fine, I'm lying. I'm going to law school to make the money to put my boobs back at 25 year old status. But, whatever. I'm mature enough to research plastic surgeons first.  ;D

To keep up my image I'm going to throw in a "You go girl!" for that one, but the voice in my head hopes it was just a joke and encourages you to stick to the natural ones :)

I'll graduate law school at 32 and I think that's pretty good both for me and employers. I imagine even in the legal business, it's of some value to have spent a few years in the real world too, not just education from age 6 to getting employed. At least, I really hope so :)

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »
Well, I can tell the "life experience" factor came up after the last post I made over there about transfering. To summarize, all I said was that I was taking responsibility for my decision to go to a T4, meaning I accept there's a higher bar for transfering. That whipped a few people up into a frenzy that I was not going to take their sage advice. I'm not trying to downplay the younger students, or dismiss them out of hand, but I'm sure many of them either knew before they went to college, or decided while they were there, to become lawyers. I think that's fantastic to know what you want to spend the next 15 year of your life doing at a young age. I thought I did too, but here I am going to law school five years after I graduated from college.

The LSAT score was devastating when it arrived: I've never done poorly on a standardized test. I took the GRE the year before and had a fantastic score. I've been told not to compare apples and oranges but a west coas think tank did a study which correlated scores from the two tests and by the chart, my LSAT should have been 12 points higher than it was. I thought about taking it again but then I saw an article on LSAC showing people that scored in the range I did typically did worse on their second and third tries. After that, I had to decide whether to even apply or forget about it altogether. So I consulted my law school "mentor" who advised me to apply anyway.

The results from the law schools weren't promising and again I had to make a decision of whether to go or forget about it. Every day I have to live with the decision that I'm heading off to another state, to a school where I may or may not have a chance of transfering or even graduating high enough on the totem pole to rate a job. Certain restrictions on bar admissions for Ohio means I can't practice there. At this point, it could very well mean that if I can't get even a lateral transfer closer to where I plan to practice, I'll be dropping out. It's just too much debt to be crossing my fingers for a job after I graduate.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »
LM

Did you prep for the LSAT? It was the only standarized test I preparred for (mainly because I knew it's importance) and my first score wasn't not very good. I have a feeling that some of those statistics for low scores might be because those people didn't prepare the first time, then didn't prepare correctly the second time. I know lots of people who scored in the 140s, took a Kapalan prep test, and scored in the high 140s-low 150s and were happy with their 5 point or so jump. Besides, just because something is true for large set of people doens't mean it's going to be true for you. Also: some schools do still review LSAT scores for transfer applicants, so even if you were planning on transferring, a new LSAT score (hopefully improved) could help you.

If you did prep well (ex: using PS bibles), then maybe you are right: your score is your score. But if you didn't, this is a very learnable test where one can improve if they properly prepare.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »
eh, i'd do it if there was no cutting or pain involved. i have an aversion to pain. my real plan involves being so brilliant and accomplished that i can buy a body stand in to have the sex for me in the beginning stages of a relationship.

Ok, fine, I'm lying. I'm going to law school to make the money to put my boobs back at 25 year old status. But, whatever. I'm mature enough to research plastic surgeons first.  ;D

To keep up my image I'm going to throw in a "You go girl!" for that one, but the voice in my head hopes it was just a joke and encourages you to stick to the natural ones :)

I'll graduate law school at 32 and I think that's pretty good both for me and employers. I imagine even in the legal business, it's of some value to have spent a few years in the real world too, not just education from age 6 to getting employed. At least, I really hope so :)
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 04:13:01 PM »

(Bernie Goetz, btw, was the so-called subway vigilante who shot four black kids at point blank on the 2 train because they demanded he give them five dollars.  You'll read all about it in Crim; some of us remember the case. :P)

1.  Most of the people at our school aren't from NYC.
2.  I knew about that, but I didn't know/remember his name.

:P

And I'm even probably a non-trad.  At least, I'm older than everyone but Flyaway (of the people I've met so far).

EE is only six weeks younger than me.  He's the next oldest I've found so far.  And I think GCoop may be a few months older than you.

Yeah, I'm 28 ... born in 1979.  No sense whatsoever that this will be anything of an issue...

I don't think the age will be an issue.  For me, I am hoping that being married and not wanting to go out to bars all the time won't be.  Of course, I probably would have been the same way even before I had someone to come home to.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »
most of the action does seem to be on the prelaw side so it's kind of a catch 22, i've decreased the time i spend on this board significantly mainly because i had reached the threshold of what i could "learn" from this board, but i'm glad to see more non-trads.  you're going to get a lot of BS answers to your questions on this board because there's really no way to substitute life experience. we all know what it was like to be a know it all 20 year old we also all know what it's like to have real life knock us on our hind parts. most of the people who post on here don't. age does not always equal maturity and vice versa. but if you don't know you don't know, and many just don't know. so i would'nt expect too much on certain topics. if you're looking for study, LSAT tips etc. this can be an invaluable resource but when you start getting off into career prospects, and the professional working world not so much. if you know any lawyers or people working in the legal field i would try and get as much advice from them as possible. they are an invaluable resource and really know what's what. i would take any advice beyond admissions and study tips from this board with a grain of salt. with a few exceptions most people on here may have 1-2 years of professional work experience tops  and can only advise what they've been told, heard or read some where. 
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
most of the action does seem to be on the prelaw side so it's kind of a catch 22, i've decreased the time i spend on this board significantly mainly because i had reached the threshold of what i could "learn" from this board, but i'm glad to see more non-trads.  you're going to get a lot of BS answers to your questions on this board because there's really no way to substitute life experience. we all know what it was like to be a know it all 20 year old we also all know what it's like to have real life knock us on our hind parts. most of the people who post on here don't. age does not always equal maturity and vice versa. but if you don't know you don't know, and many just don't know. so i would'nt expect too much on certain topics. if you're looking for study, LSAT tips etc. this can be an invaluable resource but when you start getting off into career prospects, and the professional working world not so much. if you know any lawyers or people working in the legal field i would try and get as much advice from them as possible. they are an invaluable resource and really know what's what. i would take any advice beyond admissions and study tips from this board with a grain of salt. with a few exceptions most people on here may have 1-2 years of professional work experience tops  and can only advise what they've been told, heard or read some where. 
I know what I know, and I know I don't know what I don't know.  I know what I know isn't all there is to know, and I know what I don't know is vast. But what I do know I know well, and what I don't know I work hard to know and to know it well... I want to go on but i'm afraid i may confuse myself expressing all of the ways I know and don't know. ;D
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 06:40:25 PM »
yeah there are a lot of "knows" in that post
...man, you was who you was before you got here