Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nontrad forums  (Read 3484 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nontrad forums
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 11:40:21 AM »

(Bernie Goetz, btw, was the so-called subway vigilante who shot four black kids at point blank on the 2 train because they demanded he give them five dollars.  You'll read all about it in Crim; some of us remember the case. :P)

1.  Most of the people at our school aren't from NYC.
2.  I knew about that, but I didn't know/remember his name.

:P

And I'm even probably a non-trad.  At least, I'm older than everyone but Flyaway (of the people I've met so far).

EE is only six weeks younger than me.  He's the next oldest I've found so far.  And I think GCoop may be a few months older than you.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »
It's so true.  I was as nervous about the differences in age and experience as anything else when I started law school.  Much to my surprise, it's a non-issue about 99% of the time.  And I do mean a non-issue.  I think that our resumes and maturity and experience all help when it comes time to get jobs, but it means remarkably little during 1L (at least at Michigan.)  I mean, we're all neophytes when it comes to the experience of being law students.  Even when something happened that would remind my Old friends and I of our (ahem) advanced ages, it was usually just amusing...like when no one else remembered Bernie Goetz. 

I found it to be a problem at my school. There are a lot of young people who are just "too cool" to hang out with older students, for some reason. Even so a lot of my friends are straight out of undergrad and just as unimpressed by the elitist attitude that some of my classmates have. That said I know very few people older than me in my class so I think my school dropped the ball in that respect.

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »
People who talk about feeling old at 30 make me want to cry!  I'm studying now to take the Sept. LSAT and hope to start law school (UH or STCL - another T4) in the Fall 2008 -- at the "you're-only-as-old-as-you-feel" age of 39.

After a recent divorce, I decided that if I was going to have to start over I would do it in a big way.  I've always wanted to be a lawyer and I determined that if I didn't go for it now, then I never would.

And I will agree that as "older" people we can still party -- it just takes a little longer to recover than it used to!

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »
People who talk about feeling old at 30 make me want to cry!  I'm studying now to take the Sept. LSAT and hope to start law school (UH or STCL - another T4) in the Fall 2008 -- at the "you're-only-as-old-as-you-feel" age of 39.

After a recent divorce, I decided that if I was going to have to start over I would do it in a big way.  I've always wanted to be a lawyer and I determined that if I didn't go for it now, then I never would.

And I will agree that as "older" people we can still party -- it just takes a little longer to recover than it used to!

Hey, 40 is the new 30!  :)  Law school is worth doing at any age.  And you CAN do it.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  At 35 I knew nothing about the law and by 39 I was a lawyer. Best of luck to you....   

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »

Hey, 40 is the new 30!  :)  Law school is worth doing at any age.  And you CAN do it.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  At 35 I knew nothing about the law and by 39 I was a lawyer. Best of luck to you....  

Right on Sister!  I mean, Brother!  Oh, whatever.  You know what I mean.  8)

[/quote]

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »

I'm all cool with this, what really is sad to see is 40 year olds going back to acting 18 though. Nothing wrong with going back to school at a mature age, but please, do keep the maturity your age would indicate you have :) Blasted 45 year olds in football jerseys hitting on 18 year olds trying to flee away is just sad. Perhaps its a European phenomena:) I kinda hope so.

Boscat

• I am a ROCK STAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »
Believe me, I am not interested in guys who are young enough to be my son -- and that's exactly what I tell them when they hit on me at the bar! Hehehe.

But seriously...  "Mature" doesn't have to mean boring. I have always been responsible (even in my partying 20s) and known how to have the right measure of both responsibility and fun.  It's the skirt-chasing, football-jersey-wearing types and "cougars" that give the rest of us a bad wrap!

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »
Hey, I think you are never too old to do anything you want to do, so good for you Boscat!

I just wanted to say the "40 is the new 30" and "30 is the new 20" thing needs to come to an end. I don't know whats so great about 20 year olds (or 30 year olds if i was 40). I dont get the kids these days.

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »
My experience with the S and G board is that it isn't as highly vistied as the Pre-Law board. I posted a few things over there looking for advice from current students and got nothing. When I posted over here, with the same questions, I would get reponses from current students.

Getting "crucified" for admitting you are going to a T4 school is something that is just going to happen on this board. Many posters are just straight up elitists and measure their worth as a person based on how much money they will end up making and where they went to school. However, they do have a valid point: going to a T4 school affects your chances of landing a "good" job coming out of school. If you are in a smaller market where the school you are going to is well respected, it isn't as big of a deal (since you want to stay in the area anyway). However, it is important to realize that you may be going into siginificant debt and you may not be able to get a salary which will help you pay off that debt. I assume this is why you want to transfer.

So, I think if you have questions, you just have to take the good with the bad over here. This is the board where the action is. Just keep in mind that the majority of people who post on this board don't have the life experience you do and their perspective is just going to be different.

Very different.  Some of what you know as a non-trad may seem alien to them.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »
Just wait until you're in class and your classmates are trying to figure out who was President before Clinton.

Yeah, that actually happened. 
Emory '09

LSN