Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nontrad forums  (Read 3470 times)

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Nontrad forums
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »
This may seem slightly off-topic for the board but, as requested by the administrators, I moved on to the students & graduates boards because I'm starting this fall. I'm sure I'm not the only nontrad, and it probably sounds like whining, but I was crucified because I admitted I was going to a T4 school. I was making inquiries about my chances of transferring with the first-year curriculum being what it is at the school. I got some good advice, that I took, and learned a few valuable things but otherwise I was told my legal career was over before it began.

I want to transfer to be with my boyfriend, already a lawyer so he can't just move, and because it increases my chances of getting a job in that area post-graduation. Maybe I'm just not ambitious enough for this.

Anyway, does anyone else want a nontrad board on students & graduates?

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nontrad forums
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
My experience with the S and G board is that it isn't as highly vistied as the Pre-Law board. I posted a few things over there looking for advice from current students and got nothing. When I posted over here, with the same questions, I would get reponses from current students.

Getting "crucified" for admitting you are going to a T4 school is something that is just going to happen on this board. Many posters are just straight up elitists and measure their worth as a person based on how much money they will end up making and where they went to school. However, they do have a valid point: going to a T4 school affects your chances of landing a "good" job coming out of school. If you are in a smaller market where the school you are going to is well respected, it isn't as big of a deal (since you want to stay in the area anyway). However, it is important to realize that you may be going into siginificant debt and you may not be able to get a salary which will help you pay off that debt. I assume this is why you want to transfer.

So, I think if you have questions, you just have to take the good with the bad over here. This is the board where the action is. Just keep in mind that the majority of people who post on this board don't have the life experience you do and their perspective is just going to be different.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
I am sorry you got such negative responses.  I certainly understand wanting to be close to a loved one.  I know many people do long-distance relationships during law school, but that would make me miserable.

As LegalMatters said, there are concerns about job prospects coming out of a T4 school, particularly if you're taking out a lot of loans to do so.  In terms of transferring, the generally accepted stance is that it's always a risk, no matter who you are and what your grades or LSAT are, to go into 1L with a gameplan of transferring afterwards.  It's too hard to predict who will rise to the very top of the class, since law school grading is so different from undergraduate.

I do want to stick up for the "trads" a little.  I'm sure there are plenty who are clueless (as I was right out of college) or who have different needs and interests than nontrads.  However, at 29, as the oldest person I've met so far (and I've met a bunch) who is going to Michigan this year, I've found my future classmates to be extremely mature and interesting people.  While I feel that my work experience and life experience have given me a lot in terms of skills and perspective and that I will be much more successful than I would have been had I gone to law school right after college, my classmates have each had their own unique experiences that have prepared them for law school.

I would just hate to paint all "trads" with one brush, just as we would hate to be written off as boring, know-it-all nontrads.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
I don't want to come across as the old cogger. In fact, when I say "many posters on this board" I think I really mean,  "many of the posters who post an exhorbant amount." Flyaway is right in saying that many future classmates are interesting and mature. I wasn't implying that non-trads "different" experience is in any way better. It's just different. I think it could even be worse in some ways because as older folks, we might be a little more jadded (or at least I am).

I guess to me the real thing I always find somewhat interesting about the posters straight out of UG is their willingness to absorb tons of debt (especially for those who have UG loans to pay off) and the misunderstanding of how long it takes to pay off debt even with a high paying job.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »
I do know what you mean about the debt.  And I wasn't necessarily reacting just to your post, but more to a general sentiment I see on the nontrad board.  I've wanted to say that for a long time. :)
Michigan Law Class of 2010

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 10:45:39 AM »
I wasn't implying that non-trads "different" experience is in any way better.

I would imply that. It's very obviously true.

I think you should stay here even if you're not pre-law anymore :) The S&G board is pretty dead.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 10:46:31 AM »
It's so true.  I was as nervous about the differences in age and experience as anything else when I started law school.  Much to my surprise, it's a non-issue about 99% of the time.  And I do mean a non-issue.  I think that our resumes and maturity and experience all help when it comes time to get jobs, but it means remarkably little during 1L (at least at Michigan.)  I mean, we're all neophytes when it comes to the experience of being law students.  Even when something happened that would remind my Old friends and I of our (ahem) advanced ages, it was usually just amusing...like when no one else remembered Bernie Goetz.  
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 10:55:25 AM »
...like when no one else remembered Bernie Goetz. 

who?

Hehe.  I rest my case.

(Bernie Goetz, btw, was the so-called subway vigilante who shot four black kids at point blank on the 2 train because they demanded he give them five dollars.  You'll read all about it in Crim; some of us remember the case. :P)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »

(Bernie Goetz, btw, was the so-called subway vigilante who shot four black kids at point blank on the 2 train because they demanded he give them five dollars.  You'll read all about it in Crim; some of us remember the case. :P)

1.  Most of the people at our school aren't from NYC.
2.  I knew about that, but I didn't know/remember his name.

:P

And I'm even probably a non-trad.  At least, I'm older than everyone but Flyaway (of the people I've met so far).

1. Yeah, but it was national news at the time.  White people all over Middle America rejoiced that someone was "standing up" and fighting back.   ::)
2. fair enough

and you probably are (how old are you?), but I'm of the Really Old senate-qualified subset.  :D 

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »
Much to my surprise, it's a non-issue about 99% of the time.  And I do mean a non-issue.  I think that our resumes and maturity and experience all help when it comes time to get jobs, but it means remarkably little during 1L (at least at Michigan.)

Jolie it was comments like this (usually by you, but some others also) that actually lead me to apply to Michigan in the first place. Michigan, I might also add, had the quickest turnaround rejection for me. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Based soley on ASW experiences, the age this is pretty much a non-factor. Most people are surprised to find out I'm 30 (although at Emory's ASD, the girl setting next to me said it was "obvious" that I wasn't coming straight from UG. Receding hair lines tend to do that). I think it also helps that I'm still pretty "young" in that I'm not married, childless, still party (although, it does hurt more in the morning) and listen to loud music.

And people not knowing who Bernie Goetz is, or knowing how funny Cheers actually was, does make me feel old.