Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Law full ride v. B.U w. $15K  (Read 12260 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn Law full ride v. B.U w. $15K
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
I wouldn't even bother.  There's like a billion pages.

I hear you are also an abandoner.  I don't know if I should trust you.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
Brooklyn awardees--stacked sections?
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »
I asked the question about stacking the sections with merit scholars so that they "kill each other off". I was told that this comes up often and was addressed on the BLS admitted student board last year. Dean of Adm said that their office divides class into sections and distributes 'scholars' evenly, at least at the beginning. Late withdrawals and replacements skew that balance but, he claimed, not so much as to create dummy or superstar sections.

It's good to hear that the students aren't so crass as to openly gloat about their award levels; I've heard that's not true at many schols.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »

Gossip's a terrible thing.  I have very good reasons for being slow on my posting currently.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2007, 07:46:04 PM »

Gossip's a terrible thing.  I have very good reasons for being slow on my posting currently.

Psh. I offered you my citizenship. What's your excuse now???
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BLS Warning
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
I just finished a year at BLS.  I would warn you off the school, especially in regards to your scholarship.  The administration shifted recently (in the last couple of years) with often dire effects for students.

Example:
Due to confusion following a fire alarm during a final exam (!!), proctors for a first-year final (spring semester 2007) gave one group of students in a separate classroom 25 extra minutes to write a 3-hr exam. The administration initially denied the time difference despite notice from students. After student pressure increased, the administration admitted the error but ultimately took no action. They determined that all exams should be graded on a single curve (whether students rec'd 3'25" or 3' hrs), as though there had been no serious error in exam protocol. 

(Imagine the difference in scores if one group of people taking the LSAT rec'd 25 extra minutes!  Now imagine the result on curved scores if only 80 people took that test.)

The administration's interest?  Protecting their "reputation" even at the real expense (grades, scholarships, rankings) of students who entrust them to administer exams fairly. (They rejected several suggestions that would have eliminated or minimized a ripple effect on grades and rankings.)

Not every law school administration would act so egregiously under these circumstances.  I suggest you choose a different law school that is not apt to choose its reputation over your performance.
*Sigh* I'm 75% sure I know who BLS2L is. He posts on message boards, his blog, & even created a powerpoint presentation mocking the career center. If I were you, I wouldn't be swayed by the anti-BLS advice since, at least in my experience, he only represents a small minority of our students. I take pride in being from BLS & expect to be donating to this school long after I graduate.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
i had a dream i was going to BLS in the fall..scary..

i think if you want to work in NYC and know you want to work then go to BLS
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

seahawk87

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2007, 09:13:43 PM »
I had the same offer from BLS. When I checked the materials, I saw that NYU and Cornell are the major feeder schools and when you add Ivy League and Stanford and Berkeley grads, you have 60% of the class. I was amazed and I wouldn't think that top 40% isn't as easy as it sounds. I then checked Proskauer Rose and saw the number of BLS grads and it was much higher than I would have thought. Given how ghard it appears, I'd go with BU in caseyou don't do as well as you hope. It has a much better reputation.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »
I had the same offer from BLS. When I checked the materials, I saw that NYU and Cornell are the major feeder schools and when you add Ivy League and Stanford and Berkeley grads, you have 60% of the class. I was amazed and I wouldn't think that top 40% isn't as easy as it sounds. I then checked Proskauer Rose and saw the number of BLS grads and it was much higher than I would have thought. Given how ghard it appears, I'd go with BU in caseyou don't do as well as you hope. It has a much better reputation.

This isn't me trying to rank on you, it's an honest question: Why did you use a random firm on the lower end of the V50 as your measuring stick?

...The Dude abides...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »
In fact, had I lost my scholarship after 1st year, I would have dropped out.

That's why I think you are in a great position. If you attend BLS, you are going to school for free (well, you pay room & board, but nonetheless, it's pretty darn cheap). If you do well, congrats. If you don't do well, then no spilled milk. It's not the same if you go to BU & have to take out another $15k or 20k in loans. But, if you do well at either school, you will have comparable job opportunities (meaning V100).

I'm not going to debate your "decision" to drop out, ridiculous as it may seem, but if that's what you're offering as advice to other students, I must say I'm quite alarmed. Just because you're a quitter doesn't mean others should be the same. If you fall below top 33% or whatever the requirement is, the answer is not to drop out, it's to work harder.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
In fact, had I lost my scholarship after 1st year, I would have dropped out.

That's why I think you are in a great position. If you attend BLS, you are going to school for free (well, you pay room & board, but nonetheless, it's pretty darn cheap). If you do well, congrats. If you don't do well, then no spilled milk. It's not the same if you go to BU & have to take out another $15k or 20k in loans. But, if you do well at either school, you will have comparable job opportunities (meaning V100).

I'm not going to debate your "decision" to drop out, ridiculous as it may seem, but if that's what you're offering as advice to other students, I must say I'm quite alarmed. Just because you're a quitter doesn't mean others should be the same. If you fall below top 33% or whatever the requirement is, the answer is not to drop out, it's to work harder.
I'm a quitter?!  Buddy, I'm at the top of my class.  You don't have to be an economist to understand that everything, including law school, has a dollar value.  I wouldn't invest in a stock and then hold on to it just because I "like it."  As with buying stock, law school is an investment.  People from the bottom of class at BLS & BU have trouble finding good paying jobs and they graduate with an enormous amount of debt.  If I did poorly in law school, I wouldn't stick around and rack up more debt just because you think that leaving before I go $100k deep in debt (that I'll probably never be able to pay off) makes me a "quitter."  What a joke.

...The Dude abides...