Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions  (Read 1711 times)

liquidpaper24

• View Profile
Admissions
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Americans
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
Haha...no. You can get away with calling Brazilian American Hispanic/Latino, and possibly Portuguese American. But Italian American? lol.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »
Damn the man for keeping the Italian-Americans down!
VIP.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:30:56 AM »
Well to be honest, there is no such thing as a latino because it would mean a latin speaking culture and since latin is dead, there is no latin speaking culture.
But modernly hispanics have taken over the word because of latin america- although I would never call them latin, I would never imagine calling an Italian latino-- but you may look like it.
UMiami c/o 2010

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 11:05:26 AM »
Well to be honest, there is no such thing as a latino because it would mean a latin speaking culture and since latin is dead, there is no latin speaking culture.
But modernly hispanics have taken over the word because of latin america- although I would never call them latin, I would never imagine calling an Italian latino-- but you may look like it.

A lot of Italians in Italy call themselves latino. I lived over there for a little while and my roomates and their friends would always tell american girls that they wanted to be their latin lovers. Whenever I tried to explain to them that we generally use the word to refer to latin americans they would either get offended or just look at me like I was an idiot.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »

A lot of Italians in Italy call themselves latino. I lived over there for a little while and my roomates and their friends would always tell american girls that they wanted to be their latin lovers. Whenever I tried to explain to them that we generally use the word to refer to latin americans they would either get offended or just look at me like I was an idiot.

Well, in a sense anyone who speaks a romance language is a Latino...

But not really...
VIP.