Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman/Southwestern Waitlist  (Read 34941 times)

caligirl404

• View Profile
Re: Chapman/Southwestern Waitlist
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
Studios are $1449, but go up depending on your location in the building.  Rent is high but I spent all day looking yesterday and everything is at least that much if not more-if you want a safe area with a half way decent apartment. 

Fred Thompson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »
Thanks caligirl.

That's a bit high, but not SO bad.  It looks like a pretty nice place.

caligirl404

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2007, 11:20:36 PM »
Sure!  I just went there yesterday and took a tour and it's REALLY nice.  Plus, if you sign a 12 month lease you get a month free-which helps a bit.  Have you looked around a lot for a place to live Fred?  I spent literally all day yesterday, looked at tons of places and for me this was by far the best.  The area wasn't my favorite but I figured I'm close to school and can walk so that's all that really matters.  Good luck finding a place!

Darlinalexi-Do you have a place to live yet?

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »
Nope, I haven't found a place yet.  I thought I was going to be moving out with friends, but they got so used to the idea of maybe staying here that now they are.... so now I'm going alone.  I really want to keep it within the school's housing budget and I am worried about that.   Also, I need to get private loans to move out.  I was provisionally approved for one yesterday, but I need proof of enrollment which I don't have yet... ahh... sorry, I am really, really happy but this is a lot in a short period of time....

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2007, 04:12:05 AM »
Cali -

I attended SW as a PT student throughout my time there (Dec '06 grad). Because I always maxed out my units (11-12 per semester; 5-6 every summer), I was able to graduate after only 3.5 years, even though I was working full-time and commuting all the way from Ventura.  So even if you stay PT, if you take enough units, you can graduate in about the same amount of time as the FT folks.  Further, I had plenty of friends who started as PT, and were able to switch to FT after the first year.

I enjoyed my time at SW, and had no trouble passing the CA bar on the first attempt.  So I think it's a great school.  Enjoy it.

With respect to living arrangements, if you visit the school, they always have roomate ads up on the boards.  I would try not to lock in long-term with someone you don't know very well.  You may eventually meet people in class who would make a better roomates than your original cloice, and you want to maintain the option of exploring those opportunities within the first year.

Best regards.

So I've decided that I will be attending Southwestern Part-Time this fall.  I really wanted full-time but after talking to admissions today they informed me that no decisions will me made until the very end of July/beginning of August and I just can't wait that long to find housing and move.  Also there was no guarantee that I would be able to still have a part time spot if not offered a full time one.  So I figured, why jeopordize an opportunity when I can just go part time and then transfer to full time next year.  So now I have to find an apartment in LA!  Anyone have any suggestions? 
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2007, 12:56:24 AM »
Thanks so much for the love, everyone. I was going to withdraw, take a job in another law admissions office, and sign a lease this afternoon.  This came at the absolutely best time.  I really wish luck to those still in limbo.

Skeptic- where would you recommend living? I want to live on the metro, and I was looking at Mid-Wilshire or Koreatown if I could.  Are those areas safe?

I can't wait to get my schedule and financial aid stuff and everything...yay.

Sorry about the delayed response, I completely forgot about this website in a matter of days, LOL.

Anyways
To be honest with you, I live at home with my family.  However, most of my friends live in the Silvelake area, including some parts of midwilshire.  I wish I could help you more, but i think it's wise to look into those areas, since students rent there for good reasons

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
Accepted to Chapman PT!!!

kd17

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:52 PM »
Congrats newkirk!!  I hope I get some good news too!  :)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2007, 12:05:14 PM »
Thank you.  Originally I wanted to attend Southwestern but I figured I would only be accepted PT, if at all.  The neat thing about Chapman PT is that I am able to take classes this summer and become FT by my second year, which enables me to graduate in 3 yrs. 

Southwestern I would have to apply and chance it.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
Since we have a general idea of Southwestern and Chapman, whats better Southwestern PT or Chapman FT?

Although Chapman is a Tier 4 I this hard to believe due its high median lsat and gpa, as well as being located in a lucrative area (orange county), and its bar passage rate is on par with other CA Tier 1 schools.  Just my two cents...