Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For serious posters, please! Bad news  (Read 1185 times)

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
For serious posters, please! Bad news
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »
My Ugrad GPA was a 3.00 so I was expecting my LSDAS GPA to be a 2.85 or so.  Well, They processed my transcripts and I was left with a 2.76.  Am I screwed?  Will I have to score a 160 to get into any law school?  I am caucasian, so I am at a disadvantage in that regard.  Am I screwed?  I wasn't expecting to get into a T1 school but was hoping to have a shot at a T2 or T3. Any advice? Input?

. . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: For serious posters, please! Bad news
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »
you will be at a disadvantage with a low GPA but you can offset that with a stellar LSAT score. I would definitely aim for 160+ for T3, 165+ for T2, and 170+ for anything higher. Try searching LSN to see how other splitters did this cycle or try plugging numbers into www.lsatreport.com to see where you'd be in range.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
It all comes down to the LSAT

If you get a 170+ and have a good story, you should be ok.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

BYU RULES

• Go Cougars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
Hey fellow Cougar,

You GPA is pretty crappy, but seeing that it's coming from BYU that should certainly help.  That said, you really should look at LSN, take a few practice LSATs and get a range for where you think you could score.  Gratefully, schools or more likely to forgive a bad GPA than a bad LSAT. 

HTH!
Mitt Romney '08

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:19:06 PM »
bwahahahahahahaha.

Sorry.  It wasn't bad news for me!  And I'm serious.

I love the "get a 170+" advice.  Yeah, I'm sure he was trying to get a lower score and will now change his mind.

U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

thedudebro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
yeah, i definitely agree that because you got your degree from byu ( a super prestigious school) that the admissions committees at every law school in the country will automatically assume that you could have gotten a 4.0 anywhere else.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »

I love the "get a 170+" advice.  Yeah, I'm sure he was trying to get a lower score and will now change his mind.

Im telling him not to settle for a settle for a lower score. He should keep taking if he gets one.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
Don't pick on BYU RULES!!!  He's all into "the Lord's school" to quote him.  I used to think it was ridiculous, but now realize it's SOOO CUTE!!!!
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

BYU RULES

• Go Cougars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »
yeah, i definitely agree that because you got your degree from byu ( a super prestigious school) that the admissions committees at every law school in the country will automatically assume that you could have gotten a 4.0 anywhere else.

Hey Sponger, 

BYU's a really good school.  I hope you can apply and get accepted to their underrated law school.  Good luck!

Don't pick on BYU RULES!!!  He's all into "the Lord's school" to quote him.  I used to think it was ridiculous, but now realize it's SOOO CUTE!!!!

ty
Mitt Romney '08

thedudebro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:26:26 PM »
Hey fellow Cougar,

You GPA is pretty crappy, but seeing that it's coming from BYU that should certainly help.  That said, you really should look at LSN, take a few practice LSATs and get a range for where you think you could score.  Gratefully, schools or more likely to forgive a bad GPA than a bad LSAT. 

HTH!

Gratefully sounds so ridiculous. Try using "thankfully" next time so that we mere mortals can better understand you next time.