Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Charleston School of Law  (Read 581 times)

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
Charleston School of Law
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Does anyone know anything about it? ... I know it only recently was granted accredidation from the ABA...But what exactly does that mean?... Is it ranked? Or will that take a few years?.. Just curious. :)
Waiting... :(

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
Re: Charleston School of Law
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:47 AM »
Does anyone know anything about it? ... I know it only recently was granted accredidation from the ABA...But what exactly does that mean?... Is it ranked? Or will that take a few years?.. Just curious. :)

USWNR won't rank them until they have full accreditation.  Recent example of this is FIU, which had provisional for several years, but not full until this past December, after which they entered the rankings in T3.

I don't know much about the school, other than once it gains steam it should be a fairly desirable school to attend, given its location and the fact that it will have relative command of its immediate market in due time, or at least it could be imagined so.  As far as rankings go, I wouldn't expect it to be anything more than a T3 after full accreditation for at least a decade, even if it were a stellar school, and likely it would spend some time in T4 no matter what.  But rankings generally will not be a deciding factor for most looking to attend this school; it's going to come down to location, location, location, and the fact that it is the only school in the general area and so job prospects will likely be fairly good (as long as the school does not develop a quick reputaiton for being a POS). 

Also, didn't they manage to steal several decent profs from neighboring schools?  I read that somewhere, and if true will only help it in the short term, which is where its immediate concerns will lie.

EDIT: Not the best place for info, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_School_of_Law.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
Thanks! Very informative! I was just curious.. I've only ever heard good things about College of Charleston, so I assumed that the law school will one day have earned the same reputation.. Unless, of course, as you said, they do not develop a quick reputaiton for being a POS. Although, I didn't realize that it took so long for a school to move up in rankings... but I guess that makes since some of the best schools have been around for over 100 years. 

Thanks again! :)

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Thanks! Very informative! I was just curious.. I've only ever heard good things about College of Charleston, so I assumed that the law school will one day have earned the same reputation.. Unless, of course, as you said, they do not develop a quick reputaiton for being a POS. Although, I didn't realize that it took so long for a school to move up in rankings... but I guess that makes since some of the best schools have been around for over 100 years. 

Yes, Judge Sanders was a former Pres. of CofC, but CofC and CSOL aren't affiliated in any way...

Right now, most of the student body is made up of non-trads that have families, full-time gigs, and/or are married to the high QOL Charleston provides...

The above poster that stated CSOL is attracting profs from other schools (read: U of So. Carolina) is absolutely right...This is, again, due to the wonderful lifestyle to be had in Charleston...However, keep in mind that up until a few years ago, U of So. Carolina was the only law school in the state...The alumni network from CSOL right now is non-existent and every firm in the state is loaded primarily with Gamecocks.

As for firms in Charleston, check out Nelson, Mullins, Riley, and Scarborough.....and also, Ness Motley...these are the big ones.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »

Yes, Judge Sanders was a former Pres. of CofC, but CofC and CSOL aren't affiliated in any way...

Right now, most of the student body is made up of non-trads that have families, full-time gigs, and/or are married to the high QOL Charleston provides...

The above poster that stated CSOL is attracting profs from other schools (read: U of So. Carolina) is absolutely right...This is, again, due to the wonderful lifestyle to be had in Charleston...However, keep in mind that up until a few years ago, U of So. Carolina was the only law school in the state...The alumni network from CSOL right now is non-existent and every firm in the state is loaded primarily with Gamecocks.

As for firms in Charleston, check out Nelson, Mullins, Riley, and Scarborough.....and also, Ness Motley...these are the big ones.

Interesting.. something to think about :)