Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech, does it merit a T3 ranking?  (Read 3679 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Texas Tech, does it merit a T3 ranking?
« on: June 19, 2007, 09:09:15 PM »
I am seriously considering Texas Tech over Drake and Creighton, what are your thoughts?  It is my understanding that TTU does not place well outside of Texas, maybe because major cities are not within close proximity.  Whereas Drake and Creighton can place students in their respective cities as well as Kansas City and Minneapolis...

waningdelusion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech, does it merit a T3 ranking?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
I don't know.  I'm from Lubbock, and to the West Texas residents, Tech is the best school in the country (except for Baylor and Rice).  It does have an excellent reputation throughout Texas and the rest of the Southwest (New Mexico, Oklahoma), but remember as a Tech graduate you're competing with UT, Baylor, SMU, and U of H as well as Southwestern and...oh, the other one.  If you want to stay in Lubbock/Abilene/San Angelo/Albuquerque etc., then you're great.  Otherwise you'll have to fight. 

Also, I have several friends attending Tech Law and they absolutely love it.  They're 1Ls mostly, so I don't know about their job prospects, but at least they're happy with their choice! 

As for the other schools you've mentioned, I know nothing about them.  And this is a sort of "compare these schools" thread, so most of my "help" is probably pretty useless. 

Oh, on another note, Tech grads seem to be fiercely loyal, which would really help out with getting jobs and luring in clients later on.  And since it's a pretty large school with several grad programs, there are a ton of grads floating about.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:46 AM »
thank you for the insight.  The whole ranking system gives me a headache.  How do schools like Tech place their graduates when they compete against so many schools in such a small area.  Not to mention West Texas is sparsely populated.  IDK but its driving me crazy...

waningdelusion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:06:50 AM »
thank you for the insight.  The whole ranking system gives me a headache.  How do schools like Tech place their graduates when they compete against so many schools in such a small area.  Not to mention West Texas is sparsely populated.  IDK but its driving me crazy...

well, i wouldn't say a small area.  sure, tech dominates a small (and not very populated) part of texas.  but the name still has weight (and alumni) in dallas, houston, austin, ft. worth, and san antonio.  those are actually very large markets (well houston and dallas are for sure).  my advice would be to check nalp and think about where you would rather be. 

but don't take my word for anything.  or anyone elses.  ask around, snoop around even, and figure out where you want to be.  i can relate though...i'm choosing schools at the moment, i've never been more confused.  if you have any questions about lubbock though, pm me.  i've spent 20 or so years in the greater lubbock area, so i might be able to answer some lubbock specific questions. 

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:14:07 AM »
FWIW I turned down Tech for UNM.  But I'm already in New Mexico so UNM was much cheaper.

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:50:08 AM »
Make sure you visit Lubbock before committing. I'm not sure what you're used to but its a few hours away from any metropolitan area.

I would say Lubbock is a quiet, extremely conservative, college town. Which is great for some people, but definitely rubs others the wrong way.

jeeshsta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
I would visit Lubbock too, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as simply a college town.  It is an area with over 200,000 people and the largest city in the area for hundreds of miles. It is the largest city in West Texas.  Sure, Tech dominates as it is the major source of entertainment in town (at least athletics-wise, but I'm sure it also dominates other parts of the culture), but in my opinion, 200,000+ is too big to simply be just a college town.

I would visit because it is isolated and the weather would be incompatable with some (see: dust storms).  I've been a couple of times, and once it was pretty cold, the other time just plain windy.  I wouldn't particularly want to live there, but I can see some redeeming qualities...plus, the campus is prettier than I imagined.
University of Oklahoma '10

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
I would visit Lubbock too, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as simply a college town.  It is an area with over 200,000 people and the largest city in the area for hundreds of miles. It is the largest city in West Texas.  Sure, Tech dominates as it is the major source of entertainment in town (at least athletics-wise, but I'm sure it also dominates other parts of the culture), but in my opinion, 200,000+ is too big to simply be just a college town.

I would visit because it is isolated and the weather would be incompatable with some (see: dust storms).  I've been a couple of times, and once it was pretty cold, the other time just plain windy.  I wouldn't particularly want to live there, but I can see some redeeming qualities...plus, the campus is prettier than I imagined.

False.  El Paso is much larger than Lubbock.

On weather/environment; Lubbock is a great choice for those that enjoy being outdoors.  It's not as arid as many would have you believe and cost of living is cheap.  I seriously considered this over UNM; but ultimately decided UNM would be better.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »
I am seriously considering Texas Tech over Drake and Creighton, what are your thoughts?  It is my understanding that TTU does not place well outside of Texas, maybe because major cities are not within close proximity.  Whereas Drake and Creighton can place students in their respective cities as well as Kansas City and Minneapolis...

Go Red Raiders! 

Wish I had something more to add to this thread.  I grew up in Lubbock, and while it is indeed kind of secluded, the people are extremely nice in a unique West Texas way.  Apparently the girls at TTU are just gorgeous as well (I left as a 7 year old). 

I am curious why you put it this way..."I am seriously considering TTU over Drake and Creighton."  Since they are all tier 3s, I guess what I am asking is, are Drake/Creighton considered far better schools than TTU? 

And haha, waningdelusion, I like how you mention "that other school..." haha

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
I dont mean to be a dickhead here, but I read this on LSD a while ago, and seems to be true to a large degree.

"If you are attending a law school that ends in Tech, you are most likely in trouble"

Lubbock is a festering shithole, and I would be seriously concerned about job prospects after graduation.  Just passing on a word of caution, its a big damn investment, crunch the numbers to make sure that attending a place like TT makes sense in your situation

I'd say the same about schools that end in 'ulane.'