Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Those who are aiming for Sept. LSAT..  (Read 445 times)

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
Those who are aiming for Sept. LSAT..
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »
Are you guys already starting on your application materials? I mean, LORs, PS, and other transcripts that you need to complete... Are you all starting to complete your applications before  September? Or, Are you waiting to see your LSAT score in October and choose your law schools realistically according to your Sept. LSAT score?  Should I ask my profs for LORs now? or Wait till October when the LSAT score is in, thereby letting me know realistically which schools are feasible and which are not. The question in essence,is ... I am aiming to ED for Columbia, and would it be too late to see your application complete in the middle or late October? Are there significant merits in having your law application materials complete as early as possible - even though the most critical factor- LSAT score- may not be in before October?

IF anyone can briefly tell me the advantages of applying an ED at Columbia, much will be appreciated. thanks all.

thanks all.

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
Re: Those who are aiming for Sept. LSAT..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »
I think the most I would start doing now is LORs and brainstorming my PS.. Just so I'm not totally overwhelmed when the time comes to apply! I think I might try to start sending in Apps in Sept.. right after I take the LSAT.. That way, they'll be getting my scores and apps at about the same time, and I dont have to stress about waiting for them to recieve the score!
Waiting... :(

jitcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:11:45 PM »
I may sound overwhelming right now to be getting this big of a jump on it, but I think it would be beneficial to at least start thinking about that stuff. 

Letters of recommendation go to whatever schools you apply to through LSDAS, so I personally think it is worth it to have those in by the time you actually take the LSAT in September.  That's my plan at least.  In fact, I would do as much as possible to have all your materials ready to go by the time you get your score back.  Once you get the actual score on the LSAT, then you can decide what schools you will actually apply to and fill out their applications.  But if everything else is in and ready to go, it will save you headaches in October as you try to get your applications done.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:24:20 PM »
You application won't be reviewed until all your materials are in - including your LSAT score. You're not 'complete' with out that LSAT score, so submitting the rest of your materials earlier doesn't help you. Since you're taking the September LSAT, the earliest you can go complete is late October. Columbia's ED deadline is Nov 15th I think, so you should be fine.

It's a good idea to ask for LORs now - you'll need them regardless of your LSAT score, and it's important to give your professors enough time to write them. I'd probably go ahead and request your transcript too - it will probably take all of fifteen minutes, might as well get it out of the way. I wouldn't worry too much about the application forms right now, since your list of schools isn't finalized. As for your PS, it doesn't hurt to think about it - but your number one priority at the moment is making sure you do well on the LSAT.

I'm of the opinion that there is very little benefit to applying early decision. Since law school admissions are generally rolling, you can apply regular decision early in the cycle (before thanksgiving) and have your application viewed before most others. Since HYS don't have ED, many people who apply ED don't do so to their number one choice. This seems like a bad idea to me. If Columbia, even at full price (they may give you money, but they have no incentive to do so since you've committed to going already) is your number one choice beyond anything else, then yeah, go for it. I think ED programs are mostly for the school's convenience though - they're able to secure applicants who are 100% going to their school early on - rather than yours.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

owlsmid17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
I've started asking for LORs and I'm well into prepping for the LSAT, but at the most, I have a vague idea of what I'll be writing about for my PS. As far as my target law schools are concerned, I'm looking that the schools that are compatible with the range of my practice LSATs and UGPA.

But it's June. Put the PS down, and pass the margarita.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later."