Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC v Wake Forest?  (Read 11658 times)

jitcher

• View Profile
Re: UNC v Wake Forest?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »
A friend of hers (this is all heresay BTW) apparently went to Duke (not Wake but comparable in out of state prestige I think) and says she wishes she'd saved the money and gone to Carolina.

Yah, Duke has A LOT more out-of-North Carolina prestige than Wake.  Take a look at how many Duke places in New York and DC and compare that to Wake.  Even lay man prestige of Duke is greater than Wake.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
@ OP -

UNC School of Law trumps Wake Forest.  Period.   :)

Yeah.  Period except LSAT, employment percentages, F/S ratio, $/student, bar passage, US News, etc..

University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill

36 55 3.5 4.0 3.39-3.77 158-164 15.2% 20.1 63.8% 90.2% 83.4%/NC 71%

Wake Forest University (NC)

36 55 3.0 3.6 3.19-3.71 161-165 30.0% 10.5 74.3% 95.9% 92.6%/NC 71%

But yeah, otherwise UNC totally trumps Wake!

It is really no secret that UNC has a better reputation in North Carolina than does Wake Forest, US News notwithstanding. Truly, since the majority of both schools' graduates work in North Carolina, that should be of concern to you. As was said earlier in this thread, the blip in the rankings is just that - a blip. The law school has a very capable new dean who has a firm plan for improving the law school (and, of course, its US News ranking). The drop in the rankings was caused in no small part by the upheaval that accompanied the law school's lack of a dean for the past two years prior to the hiring of Dean Boger, as well as by the limited financial resources that the law school was dealing with. The law school has a plan in place for adding many new faculty members, and has been appropriated more funding by the university and, possibly, the legislature at some point in the near future. I highly recommend reading Dean Boger's analysis of the rankings drop before making a decision based solely on what the magazine says (you can find it located here: http://www.law.unc.edu/pdfs/usnewsstatement.pdf).

The flavors of the two schools are very different, from the law school itself to the campuses of the universities and their respective locales. I really don't think that your career prospects will be significantly affected by choosing one over the other, so, of course, the traditional advice would be to go where you feel most at home. I must add, though, that from my own experience, I have never known personally anyone to go to Wake Forest who was accepted by UNC (and, having spent the majority of my life living in NC, I've known a lot of people in this situation). Take that for what you will.

What she said.  Better yet, what I said. UNC > Wake.  Period.   ;)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 05:57:16 PM »
I'm TEN years out of UG so I'm not speaking from a purely college town perspective. perhaps you should visit the two cities. I'm serious when I say that WS has absolutely no cultural scene, little industry, and a yawning gap between the haves and the have nots that make for an interesting real estate and business market.

Perhaps you should detail what you are looking for in a school. That would help those of us who live in the area and have some relatable experience that might be of value to you.

Also, another mark in Carolina's favor: Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>>> Winston-Salem (not so much a college town, and the university isn't really integrated into it)

I ditto that. Winston Salem even runs a distant second to GREENSBORO which isn't saying much. It can in no way compete with the social and cultural scene of Chapel Hill. Everything from live entertainment, an organic arts scene, cheap liquor, loose zoning laws that allow public inebriation and a pretty involved "academic" community kicks Winston's arse.

What can I say?  I'm 7 years out of UG and it has been at least 5 years since I thought of living in a college town as desirable.  If that is what you are looking for, fine.  But there are plenty of advantages to living in a small city instead.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »
A friend of hers (this is all heresay BTW) apparently went to Duke (not Wake but comparable in out of state prestige I think) and says she wishes she'd saved the money and gone to Carolina.

Yah, Duke has A LOT more out-of-North Carolina prestige than Wake.  Take a look at how many Duke places in New York and DC and compare that to Wake.  Even lay man prestige of Duke is greater than Wake.

Confirmed.  Wake's nothing to sneeze at, but theres really not much of a comparison between the two.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

UNC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
If you're in-state, UNC is clearly the better option.  Out of state, I think it is much closer.  UNC probably has better name reputation in the state and definitely a larger alumni network.  I would give UNC the slight edge with in state prominence.  The cost is the real deciding factor in my opinion.  If you're out of state the cost difference is dramatically narrowed making the two schools more of a toss up and the decision comes down to where you'd rather live for 3 years.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »
Yeah, i'm instate and i'm definately looking at the cost of UNC. i went UG in Durham so I already know that I love Chapel HIll. Here's hoping i get in and/or get some scholarship money. Any idea how loose they are with the purse strings?

If you're in-state, UNC is clearly the better option.  Out of state, I think it is much closer.  UNC probably has better name reputation in the state and definitely a larger alumni network.  I would give UNC the slight edge with in state prominence.  The cost is the real deciding factor in my opinion.  If you're out of state the cost difference is dramatically narrowed making the two schools more of a toss up and the decision comes down to where you'd rather live for 3 years.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
I'm at UNC but I would say that if you're a family type such as myself then you could see the appeal of going to Wake b/c you would have the inside track on Winston Salem, a cute town where you can get super cheap, nice old houses where you could literally walk to work.  Kilpatrick Stockton for example doesn't have a regular corporate office there but instead has made a "campus" from an old house and the carriage houses, etc.  Pretty neat, and a walk to the downtown stuff.  However other posters are right taht WS allegedly has no night life and little "cool" culture. 

I would say that if you see no possibility of living in WS, and you have a choice, go with UNC for all the reasons stated. However, if you like WS, go with Wake.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UNC fact and fiction
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:29 AM »
Couple of thoughts on the Wake/UNC fight. I'm in the middle of picking schools and dating a girl from NC, so I hear a lot about this argument. First, I think it's important to understand that for in-state people, that is NC residents, UNC has a HUGE halo effect, mostly emanating from their undergrad reputation. To in-state kids, UNC is mecca, and this bright shining star in the academic world. As someone that grew up in Maryland (though born and with family in NC,) UNC always seemed to me what it was: a good state universiy, up there with the best, Wisconsin, Texas, maybe even Virginia. However, that appreciation of it doesn't come close to the way that the NC kids I've met think of it. They will regale you with tales of students that chose UNC over Harvard, Yale, Princeton. It's not to say that I'm wrong and they're right or the other way around, it's just important to realize that there is a difference in reputation in-state versus out. This definitely carries over to the Law School. Out of state reputation is held hands down by Duke. You need to have some idea about where you want to practice after school. If it's NC, SC, GA, etc, then UNC is a good choice, though I don't think you're taking much of a risk by choosing Wake instead. If you haven't thought about it yet, do so now. If you want to move further up the coast, think about taking five minutes to call recruiters at a couple DC or  PA firms, and ask them their impressions of the schools. Remember to take NC opinions about the schools with a grain of salt, as these opinions are largely influenced by the reputation of undergrad schools.

If you're looking for a booming cosmopolitan lifestyle, you shouldn't be looking in NC. You probably shouldn't be looking at law school either. But if you want action and nightlife, you should be looking at schools in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlanta. You can find comparable schools to UNC/Wake in any of those cities.

And finally, I want to address the regular posts about UNC moving up the boards that you see all over here and TLS. UNC has an in-state quota of 75%!!!!!!! There is no way that the school will move more than a couple slots wile this is in place. Be realistic about what the rankings actually mean when you look at them, and consider them by 'grouping' not by number. That is, position 32 is not better than position 36. When you look at the actual data, it's not that different, and won't change much. However, 22 is better than 35. Consider the schools three or four spots above and below a school as Peer institutions.

Having said that, take another look at the boards and see where UNC actually is. It stands with other (very good) state universities such as Maryland, Alabama, and Ohio. It does not stand in the first tier of state universities with Texas, Virginia, and Michigan. Which brings us back to the incredible 75% in-state quota. To give some scale to that, UVA takes 40% in-state. If I was an out of state student looking at public schools, that number would stop me in my tracks. It is indeed the case as a previous poster noted that UNC is as hard to get into as Boalt for out of state students. But what about in-state. Well, it's obviously a lot easier. So as impressive as it may be that you got an out-of-state slot at UNC, your UNC acceptance is not going to look like a Boalt acceptance.

A previous poster pointed out that Texas did not climb in the rankings when it lowered it's in-state quota. However, students coming to Texas for school from out-of-state do not qualify as texas residents in time to benefit from in-state tuition. At UNC it is much easier to qualify. So, if (and only if,) UNC opens up its admissions pool to out-of-state kids, it could see a large ratings bump, as it would become a great deal. If UNC moved from 25% to 50% out-of-state, I think that within a few years, its numbers would put it on par with Texas, UCLA, etc. However, my impression is that those decisions are not up to the admissions committee, but to the state government.

In summary, UNC and Wake are both great schools. They both enjoy very solid regional reputations. I think it's a mistake to think that UNC is a first-tier ('first tier' not = 'T1') public law school. If you're planning to practice in that region, let the money and visits guide your decision.

I'm sorry to unload all this on you all, but I'm constantly getting a barrage of UNC hype from my girlfriend, and if I put it down to you guys, I don't have to sleep on the couch.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: UNC fact and fiction
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »

Having said that, take another look at the boards and see where UNC actually is. It stands with other (very good) state universities such as Maryland, Alabama, and Ohio. It does not stand in the first tier of state universities with Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia, and Michigan.

lolz
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC fact and fiction
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »

Having said that, take another look at the boards and see where UNC actually is. It stands with other (very good) state universities such as Maryland, Alabama, and Ohio. It does not stand in the first tier of state universities with Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia, and Michigan.

lolz

one of these things is not like the other...
Emory '09