Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC v Wake Forest?  (Read 11615 times)

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC v Wake Forest?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
UNC waitlisted me while Wake gave me a full ride.

Yeah this happened to many people.  Which is one piece of evidence that I would offer to show that UNC is the better school ... Wake has to shell out a lot more money to attract comparable students ... but ultimately UNC pwns in NORTHCAROLINAPRESTIGE

That is one way to look at it.  But it is so cheap for in-staters that it might as well be free, and it might as well be Berkley for getting in from out of state.  I think Wake is right up there with anyone else for the Charlotte legal market.  Raleigh may be another story, I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised if UNC dominates there.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »
the two attnys in my family are both fairly recent Carolina grads - in the past ten years I think? anyway, they now have their own pretty successful practice in Raleigh. In speaking with them they attribute a great deal of that to the connections they made in school, the Carolina network and the LS's rep.

The more proficient (and successful) of the two went into the prosecutor's office after school and was promoted damn near every six months. she was thinking of moving up the government ranks with a move to DC with what i understand was a pretty solid invitation. Instead she went private for awhile to pay some bills and then went out on her own with her husband. A friend of hers (this is all heresay BTW) apparently went to Duke (not Wake but comparable in out of state prestige I think) and says she wishes she'd saved the money and gone to Carolina.

Take all that for what it's worth. I will say that being in the RDU area is incomparable when it comes to networking, contacts and just so much damn money flowing around. Wake is great! But Winston Salem is not. Unless your plan is to just ride the name into an entry level non-descript medium/state BIGLAW gig you might find opportunities in the immediate area a little more scarce. And Raleigh feeds directly into Charlotte, the largest market in the state. We are flush with Carolina grads around here.

Like most things this depends on what one wants to do, what they're willing to do to achieve it and how they define a "good" education. I will say that almost every prof and law school affliated person i speak with locally thinks Carolina is an unbeatable deal and that they are slept on.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:32:49 PM »
UNC will shoot up the rankings (back to at least where they've been stationed for the last 5 years) now that the new dean is doing a lot for the school. The faculty:student ratio is slated to improved with (I think, don't quote me on this) 13-16 new faculty members in the next few years (including 5 since the last time UNC reported numbers). There is a press release/memo from the new dean about the rankings drop, look on google for it and you can read the outline of the school's plans.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
On Coolness factor, I'd pick Wake...

On Law reputation, you PROB. have to go with UNC.
VIP.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 01:42:26 AM »

Explain ... Chapel Hill is pretty F-ing cool...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 02:03:37 AM »
Yeah, there's no way Weak Florist is cooler than us Heels in Chapel Hill.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 03:28:33 PM »

Coolness:

1) Private >>>cooler>>>> Public

2) Small school with a good football team and a respectable bball program (considering the conference and all) = cool

3) Law Students get free tickets to sporting events.

4) Small is cooler than big

5) Demon Deacon is cooler than Tar Heel (why would I want Tar on my heel? sounds annoying).
VIP.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »

Coolness:

1) Private >>>cooler>>>> Public

2) Small school with a good football team and a respectable bball program (considering the conference and all) = cool

4) Small is cooler than big

5) Demon Deacon is cooler than Tar Heel (why would I want Tar on my heel? sounds annoying).

So you can run faster... ;D
Washington University School of Law 2010

BlueHeaven07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 03:50:56 PM »

Their football team has been historically poor-to-mediocre, though it certainly has seen some improvement in the past year (not sure if this is sustained improvement, though). However, their basketball team has been absolutely embarrassingly poor for two years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. In fact, with the exception of a few good years in the mid-90s and the early part of the current decade, their basketball history is also fraught with mediocrity - they've only been to one Final Four in their entire history (and this was in the 60s, when Billy Packer was playing for them). Carolina's basketball team is perennially outstanding, and the recent hiring of Butch Davis suggests that the football program will see improvement similar to if not greater than what Wake experienced this past season. Plus, if you like baseball, Carolina's baseball team has been experiencing quite a bit of success of late (hope I don't jinx them tonight by saying that)!

Also true at Carolina.

I may be biased, but clergymen don't exactly scream "cool" to me. Tar Heel, by the way, is an allusion to the bravery of the actions of North Carolina's soldiers during the Civil War - which may or may not be "cool," but is, in my opinion, more fearsome than a church official.

Also, another mark in Carolina's favor: Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>>> Winston-Salem (not so much a college town, and the university isn't really integrated into it)
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »
Also, another mark in Carolina's favor: Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>>> Winston-Salem (not so much a college town, and the university isn't really integrated into it)

I ditto that. Winston Salem even runs a distant second to GREENSBORO which isn't saying much. It can in no way compete with the social and cultural scene of Chapel Hill. Everything from live entertainment, an organic arts scene, cheap liquor, loose zoning laws that allow public inebriation and a pretty involved "academic" community kicks Winston's arse.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid