Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC v Wake Forest?  (Read 11206 times)

sweett

• View Profile
UNC v Wake Forest?
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
your thoughts? in terms of prestige/rep/street cred

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC v Wake Forest?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
Wake, so that another spot opens up at UNC!

;)

If you can get residency, then UNC would be the easy choice here.  If not, then maybe Wake would suit your personality better...I'm not sure.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
Wake sucks, Carolina rocks!
Washington University School of Law 2010

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Wake because I'm going. ;D

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
I know that they are tied right now but that wont last for long.  Wake is appropriately ranked, UNC is much too low.  UNC is the better of the schools, and it is going to get better int he near future because of a change in the leadership and concerns over funding and faculty quality.  UNC also has a much stronger coastal reach ... it is much more feasible to move to DC, NYC, etc. from UNC.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
I think they are both about even.  UNC is lost right now, but I would be very suprised if they didn't pull ahead (not just in rankings) over the next few years.  That said, both are about equally respected in NC.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »
I know that they are tied right now but that wont last for long.  Wake is appropriately ranked, UNC is much too low.  UNC is the better of the schools, and it is going to get better int he near future because of a change in the leadership and concerns over funding and faculty quality.  UNC also has a much stronger coastal reach ... it is much more feasible to move to DC, NYC, etc. from UNC.

I highly respect both schools. But it seems to me that UNC is has two things holding it back:  state funding and in-state quotas.  The advantage UNC has is in its rep scores.  But unless they improve their LSAT numbers, it seems logical that their rep scores will come down to the level of their numbers over time.  Wake can buy enough students and faculty to keep improving their numbers. It seems logical that Wake's rep scores will improve with their numbers.

Of course,it is clear that I am biased.  UNC waitlisted me while Wake gave me a full ride.  So feel free to discount my opinions.

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »
You would think the quotas would hurt them, but when UT loosened their quotas, it didn't help them in the rankings AT ALL.  I suspect a lot of out-of-state people they waitlist/reject probably wouldn't go their anyway.

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
You would think the quotas would hurt them, but when UT loosened their quotas, it didn't help them in the rankings AT ALL.  I suspect a lot of out-of-state people they waitlist/reject probably wouldn't go their anyway.

Don't you know Texas is like its own country and can't be compared to other states ;)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
UNC waitlisted me while Wake gave me a full ride.

Yeah this happened to many people.  Which is one piece of evidence that I would offer to show that UNC is the better school ... Wake has to shell out a lot more money to attract comparable students ... but ultimately UNC pwns in NORTHCAROLINAPRESTIGE
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...