Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Akron just increased its offer bigtime... wtf?  (Read 384 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Akron just increased its offer bigtime... wtf?
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »
Full tuition +15K stipend

In addition, the cumulative GPA required to continue the full-tuition portion of the award into the second year has been reduced from 3.30 (roughly the top 10% of the class) to 2.50, which is roughly the top 60% of the class.

Does that mean it still takes a 3.3 to get from fall to spring?

I'm so skeptical...

pins

• View Profile
Re: Akron just increased its offer bigtime... wtf?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »
I doubt that's what it means.  I got an email saying that the first time around, they'd had a typo in their information, and the figure was actually a 2.5, not a 3.3.

And as for the increased offer... I was offered full tuition plus a stipend, and I originally put down the deposit, but recently got a better (for me) offer, so I just informed them that I wouldn't be attending Akron.  So maybe that's where part of the extra money came from?
In: Akron, CWRU, Chicago-Kent, Cincinnati, DePaul, Tulane
Waiting: American, Loyola-Chicago, Temple, W&L, W&M
Out: GM, GW, GU, OSU

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »
As per the email:
[gratif]:

Actually, here is what you need to carry the full-tuition portion of the award through to graduation:

End Fall 2007: 2.3

End Spring 2008: 2.5

End Spring 2009: 3.3

So, let’s say, for example, you carry a 2.7 all through law school. You will have gotten years 1 and 2 paid for by the full-tuition portion, plus (in effect) year 3 “up front” in the form of the $15,000 stipend (assuming you get Ohio residency after your first year, which is likely…see http://www.uakron.edu/registrar/ResRulesandRegs.php for clarification on Ohio residency rules). If you carry at least a 3.3, you get all three years paid for plus $15,000 cash.

how easy is ohio residency?  We're talking 26K vs 16K. 

Right now I'm considering 60K @ St. Thomas - MN gauranteed.

jhertzo

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »
I got the same offer from Akron, first full +10k (when I was actually considering them), then the stipend & scholarship was gone, then just the scholarship, then 15k scholarship, then gpa requirement was lowered! I don't know it seems pretty strange to me.
CWRU '10