Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Fee Waiver  (Read 978 times)

weezer999

• View Profile
LSAC Fee Waiver
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
How long does it usually take LSAC to process a fee waiver?

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
Re: LSAC Fee Waiver
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »
I also would like to know...for the need based fee waiver.
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
if you apply on LSAC's website you get a tentative approval instantly. you can immediately sign up for the test and LSDAS and order superprep for free. They then review your application, and if you don't qualify you are charged for whatever services you already ordered while tentatively approved.

how long? about a week to 10 days to final approval or *ding*.

There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »
Thanks Liz :) Can't wait for those fee waivers to start stacking up (read: I am poor lol.)

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:31:50 PM »
the criteria for an lsac fee waiver is pretty strict i've heard, so don't count your chickens and whatnot.

oh, and to clarify, the OP and i were referring to LSAC's fee waiver for the LSAT and LSDAS. school application fee waivers are a separate issue, though once you qualify for lsac's fee waiver, from what i understand, schools almost always automatically grant application fee waivers. in fact in many cases they are automatically programmed into LSAC's electronic application system (you won't know until you hit checkout which schools have automatically granted you a fee waiver).

also note that you still have to pay the $12 per report requested by schools, but you do get four reports free with the waiver. as noted before, you also get a free copy of superprep.

edit: it might take longer to get processed as the volume of applications increases as we get closer to the test. apply as soon as you can (and register for the test as soon as you can before testing facilities in your area fill up completely).
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
the criteria for an lsac fee waiver is pretty strict i've heard, so don't count your chickens and whatnot.

oh, and to clarify, the OP and i were referring to LSAC's fee waiver for the LSAT and LSDAS. school application fee waivers are a separate issue, though once you qualify for lsac's fee waiver, from what i understand, schools almost always automatically grant application fee waivers. in fact in many cases they are automatically programmed into LSAC's electronic application system (you won't know until you hit checkout which schools have automatically granted you a fee waiver).

also note that you still have to pay the $12 per report requested by schools, but you do get four reports free with the waiver. as noted before, you also get a free copy of superprep.

edit: it might take longer to get processed as the volume of applications increases as we get closer to the test. apply as soon as you can (and register for the test as soon as you can before testing facilities in your area fill up completely).

Correct, and I was referring to those schools which tie their fee waiver requirements to LSAC's fee waiver. In my case, almost all of the schools I am interested in take LSAC's fee waiver process for their own.

EZboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
The LSAC fee waiver is very strict, so don't get your hopes up for one unless you're super poor. I thought I was super poor and I still didn't qualify for the waiver.

countbizaller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:51:55 PM »
Strange.  I'm not super poor but my fee waiver was accepted.  Took only about 4-5 days from the time I sent in my tax info.  Certainly doesn't hurt to give it a shot no matter what you think you might get.  It's nice having everything be free.
UT Law '11

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
Strange.  I'm not super poor but my fee waiver was accepted.  Took only about 4-5 days from the time I sent in my tax info.  Certainly doesn't hurt to give it a shot no matter what you think you might get.  It's nice having everything be free.

Maybe you are super poor and just don't know it ;D

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 10:01:21 PM »
The LSAC fee waiver is very strict, so don't get your hopes up for one unless you're super poor. I thought I was super poor and I still didn't qualify for the waiver.

Trust me, there is no way they could define poor that I would not qualify. I live like a monk lol.