Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I flunked out...any advice?  (Read 7632 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: I flunked out...any advice?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2007, 08:11:19 AM »
Question???  So are you saying that if you go to a tier 4 school your chances are higher for flunking out?  Can you explain why this is?  I don't understand.... 

lots of tier 3/4 schools have low curves (2.7 comes to mind for one school) and have strict grade requirements for going on to 2L.  some schools just automatically flunk out a 10% of the class or whatnot.
Columbia 3L

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
Question???  So are you saying that if you go to a tier 4 school your chances are higher for flunking out?  Can you explain why this is?  I don't understand.... 

There are also cases where conditional scholarships are handed out and often lost after the first year.  The condition is generally to attain a certain GPA/class rank that seems within reason if one does not understand the chance factor that the curve brings in.

To the 0Ls that are looking for a moral to the story:  The lower ranked school you go to the higher the probability of this happening to you.  :o To me, it seems like a scam-  just really fishy sounding.  I know what I said about lower ranked schools seems counter-intuitive.  Trust me.  And do your research...just do settle for being happy because "*whew* I got in somewhere" 

Good point, but not sure if that is the moral of this story.  The OP did not go to a lower ranked school.  So I guess it goes to show that it can happen no matter where you land.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
From what I understand, John Marshall-ATL does not have a curve, but they also don't have any kind of academic probation, so u have to maintain at least a 1.9 GPA for the first semester/year or u are OUT, just like that.  2nd & 3rd years you have to maintain a 2.0.  Which doesn't seem that bad because you're only competing with yourself for a grade, not your classmates.  I think they do this to weed people out and improve their bar passage rate to make sure they get FULL accreditation when the time comes.

But even though they have no academic probation and someone could be out on their butt in one semester, I think it's kind of a relief to know that there is no curve, assuming that I have a decent understanding of how the curve works. 

[/quote

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »
Yes it can happen anywhere.  However since they do have stricter standards, it is more difficult at a lower ranked school.  Keep in mind-  and there are those that may disagree w/ me- but no matter what school u go to we're all doing the same work.  I just want the OP to know that there's a chance. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2007, 08:07:04 PM »
From what I understand, John Marshall-ATL does not have a curve, but they also don't have any kind of academic probation, so u have to maintain at least a 1.9 GPA for the first semester/year or u are OUT, just like that.  2nd & 3rd years you have to maintain a 2.0.  Which doesn't seem that bad because you're only competing with yourself for a grade, not your classmates.  I think they do this to weed people out and improve their bar passage rate to make sure they get FULL accreditation when the time comes.

But even though they have no academic probation and someone could be out on their butt in one semester, I think it's kind of a relief to know that there is no curve, assuming that I have a decent understanding of how the curve works. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but as good as no curve sounds, it usually mean lots of lower grades and fewer higher ones. My school has no curve and the median GPA probably a full .15-.2 lower than grades at comparable law schools during 1L. Of course in 2L/3L it may be better because there are some profs who don't give many grades below an A-/B+, but you have to worry about 1L most in terms of finding employment and no getting kicked out.

As for the OP- I think there's still a good chance you could get through law school. While my experience has certainly not been as bad as yours, I wasn't as happy with the experience as I could have been (downright miserable at times) and I know that affected my grades negatively. I am sure had I been in a better environment for me, I would have done a lot better.

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2007, 10:07:47 PM »
Point #1: A 2.0 GPA is very low for law school IMO and probably is one of the reasons JM-ATL is ranked poorly.

Point #2: In law school, you are competing against your peers...not yourself. (hence grading policies that only allow a certain number of A's, B's, and C's in a class)

Point #3: I think JM has more of a fertilization policy than a weeding out policy.  In other words, I think they have created an environment in which it is damn near IMPOSSIBLE to flunk out. Retention is probably their aim with regards to this (the more people they can retain from year to year, the more it helps with the accreditation process).

[/quote

Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

TwinkyBean

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2007, 11:11:01 PM »

There are also cases where conditional scholarships are handed out and often lost after the first year.  The condition is generally to attain a certain GPA/class rank that seems within reason if one does not understand the chance factor that the curve brings in.

To the 0Ls that are looking for a moral to the story:  The lower ranked school you go to the higher the probability of this happening to you.  :o To me, it seems like a scam-  just really fishy sounding.  I know what I said about lower ranked schools seems counter-intuitive.  Trust me.  And do your research...just do settle for being happy because "*whew* I got in somewhere" 

Good point, but not sure if that is the moral of this story.  The OP did not go to a lower ranked school.  So I guess it goes to show that it can happen no matter where you land.

I have no idea what anyone is talking about on here.. but that is one cute little baby girl Ten thousand! :)
Waiting... :(

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 02:53:53 AM »
Trust me it can be done. I believe you are required to take 2 years off according to ABA rules but you can reapply and more schools than you think will be willing to accept you if you can show some meaninful progress from the time you left school until the time you go back. PM me if you have any more questions or concerns. Trust me though it can be done.

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2007, 03:01:33 AM »
Also you must recieve a letter of good academic standing from the previously attended law school in order to complete your application packet at most other law schools when you reapply. However,every law school is different some dont require this while most will. As I said before, you have to sit out for 2 years mandatory before re-entering law school.

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2007, 04:49:34 AM »
Oh yeah, regardless of how you feel about it now. This minor setback in your life is not the end of the world. Learn from this experience and build yourself up from it. Do not let this one failure on a series of arbitrary tests determine your self worth. Be honest with your parents and get back to us as well.