Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mature students in Canadian Law schools  (Read 2395 times)

JBI

• View Profile
Mature students in Canadian Law schools
« on: September 19, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »
So I'm not sure how many people will know this, but I figure it's wirth a shot. Anybody know what the general qualifications of people admitted as mature students are? I'm planning to apply for mature status at Osgoode, Western, Windsor, and Manitoba for Sept 2006.

I'll have some undergrad, a college diploma and work experience in the Aviation industry.

Do most of the other applicants have 20 years work experience, plus a couple nobel prizes and a congressional medal of honor?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mature students in Canadian Law schools
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:02:55 PM »
i would have no clue ... and doubt any of the other Canadians on this board would either. 

Maybe look at schools websites ... class profiles are pretty much public information.  Of call the schools.  Everytime I've called a school they've been very helpful and answered pretty much anything i asked them.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 08:24:58 PM »
Limited clue here.  One of my friends got admitted to mature last year with a 157 LSAT and a 3.0 GPA.  Work experience of exactly five years.
No longer here.

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 07:32:15 PM »
I think it would sort of depend on how much, and what type, of work experience that you have.  It seems to me that other factors (such as having a family, having volunteer experience, etc.) might also be considered by admission boards when one is applying as a mature student.

Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

JBI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 11:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I've worked for a regional airline for 3 years, 1 as a Medevac pilot throughout Northern Canada and 1 as a charter pilot (training Captain as well). Due to the on call nature of my job I am a little short on recent volunteer experience (did some in highschool, not sure if that'll count). I plan to take the LSAT in February or June of next year and I'll be taking at least a year and a half of undergrad courses working on a BA in Geography.

So I'm thinking as long as I'm able to get a solid score on the LSAT (my inital 2 practice ones were 161 and 165) and do well in my courses I should have a decent shot. I'll give the different schools a call next semester sometime to find out more details.