Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP - Scored 142 on Preptest  (Read 2861 times)

kellylynn83

• View Profile
    • Email
PLEASE HELP - Scored 142 on Preptest
« on: September 19, 2004, 06:27:53 PM »
I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course.  I have taken 4 prep tests so far and I cannot get above a 142.  This number is just haunting me.  I have been studying for the past 2 months, and I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I have the most troubles with reading comprehension and Logical Reasoning.  I registered for the Oct.2 test, do you think I should wait until December to take it so I can get more practice in?  If anyone has any advice for me, I really appreciate it.  I am just freaking out right now ???

Matthew_24_24

Re: PLEASE HELP - Scored 142 on Preptest
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 09:50:02 PM »
I would to.  If that is what you are scoring and you plan on attending Fall 2005 you need to:

a) postpone until December
b) Scrap that Kaplan crap, im sorry, it sucks.
c) Purchase a minimum of 20 practice tests

That is a minimum: Highly recommended:

a) powerscore testmasters course

or

b) Logic reasoning bible, logic games bible, & master the lsat

You need to start from scratch, learn how to do the questions untimed, practice a set methodology for reasoning, and apply it consistently over the next two months.  If your grades for one semster drop from a 3.7 (for example) to a 3.3, so be it.  It will make a .05 dent into your overall GPA, but without a 155 LSAT chances are you wont get into any decent school at all.  160-165 highly recommended.

Matt

Addendum: I know this sounds harsh, but I assume that Law is a person's first choice when they come here.  This might not be the right advice for you if Law is a 2nd or 3rd option.

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 09:55:03 PM »
postpone until December (or maybe even sit out a year), and follow all of Matt's advice above

kellylynn83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 11:33:23 PM »
Thank you guys for your help :)  I really appreciate it. 

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 11:35:27 PM »
you're welcome.  there was a similar thread to this the other day, and a couple people were like "you can do it, do it in december"

this test is too f-ing important to screw it up.  i don't know you, but if you feel like you have the ability to score reallly well on it provided you practice hard, then sit out a year and take the LSAT whhen you are good and ready and prepared to ace it.  this test unfortunately decides too much of your future

kellylynn83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 11:52:26 PM »
Just one more question -
Since I am wanting to apply for fall of 2005, how much will I be affected applying a few months later than which I had expected to? Thanks again for your help  ;)

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 11:53:04 PM »
Not nearly the effect that applying with a 142 LSAT will have...

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 11:59:32 PM »
December admissions is not a big deal.  February would be.

Matt

dgatl

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 11:59:48 PM »
Just one more question -
Since I am wanting to apply for fall of 2005, how much will I be affected applying a few months later than which I had expected to? Thanks again for your help  ;)

rolling admission will be greatly affected.  however, most apps are received in the final two weeks.  get your LSAT up, and you could apply this year.  but the critical component of your app is your LSAT and GPA

kellylynn83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 12:02:02 AM »
I graduated with a 3.94, but my cumulative GPA is a 3.47.  I imagine they only take into account my cumulative GPA, correct?