Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Provisionally accredited school v. T14  (Read 1785 times)

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Provisionally accredited school v. T14
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »
As someone who will be attending La Verne, I can tell you the schools reputation in the area ( ontario, california) is very strong. Several judges in the area have recieved there JD's at La Verne. I have talked to a couple of lawyers as well who are either in private practice now doing well for themselves or practicing in small to medium firms. The consensus seems to be the school has a bright future and they are pursuing full ABA approval.

However, attending La Verne, I know my limitations. I am looking to practice in the region, ( Riverside county, San bernardino county, and orange county).

I am not expecting to go to Boston or New York and land a big law job.

If I was looking for that, I would not attend La Verne.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »
When I saw the title of the thread I originally thought it was a really bad flame about someone deciding btw a provisionally accredited school and a T14. I lol'd

You're 'tar is cute!

I would not go to a provisionally accredited school, seems really risky....

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »
True, but from my understanding La Verne has some tough competition with fully approved ABA schools around LA.  I am not sure if La Verne will gain full ABA accredidation...

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 01:00:49 AM »
Perhaps...

However, and I could be misinformed, I thought that students graduating from a school with provisional aba approval recieve the same rights and benefits as students who graduate from fully accredited schools.

If also, hypothetically speaking,  you are a matriculating student in the fall, and the school loses its accreditation or is put on probation ( like whittier law school) during your time as a student, you still are considered a student who graduated from an ABA law school.

Can someone elaborate on this further if I am wrong?

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 01:29:19 AM »
you are absolutely correct but I am concerned if La Verne loses its accredidation how the legal community will respond.  I am sure many employers and other legal professionals will try to look past Whittiers' probationary status but that does not hide the fact that probationary means just that, probation...  This is not to say La Verne will fail to gain full accredidation but it is a definite possibility. 

I am not sure how I feel about La Verne.  I do not think I would mind going there its just my pride that might have to take a hit.  Everyone wants to go to an established school that has a name...

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 01:50:09 AM »
you are absolutely correct but I am concerned if La Verne loses its accredidation how the legal community will respond.  I am sure many employers and other legal professionals will try to look past Whittiers' probationary status but that does not hide the fact that probationary means just that, probation...  This is not to say La Verne will fail to gain full accredidation but it is a definite possibility. 

I am not sure how I feel about La Verne.  I do not think I would mind going there its just my pride that might have to take a hit.  Everyone wants to go to an established school that has a name...

Newkirk,

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you.

I chose the school that would be best for me in terms of graduating with lowest amount of debt, ( i recieved a generous scholarship) and where I felt the school had a strong connection and regional reputation. La Verne was the answer for me.

Alot of people want to be able to brag that they go to Ucla or Harvard or Yale. Those are terrific schools that I would be proud to attend as well.They are not however, best for everyone.

I guess for me, because I struggled and had to bust my butt to get where I am at, I am proud of the fact that I am attending an ABA approved law school. I am the first in my family to graduate college and I went to a respected University of California school for undergrad.

At the end of the day, I take pride in the fact that I was able to work and provide for my family ( mother, disabled father, a younger brother)  and I can still take care of them while I attend law school close by.

Goodluck to you with your decision.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 02:19:11 AM »
Good luck to you and I am sure you will do great in law school.