Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: thoughts on Louisville?  (Read 2718 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
thoughts on Louisville?
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »
Anyone?  anyone?

Bueller?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: thoughts on Louisville?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
It's in Kentucky, right? Guess that's the full extent of my thoughts on Louisville... anyone else?  ;)
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

askdawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Yep, very quiet, I've asked around for info too. Are you considering the school? I'll be happy to share once I get started there.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »
Yep, very quiet, I've asked around for info too. Are you considering the school? I'll be happy to share once I get started there.

its on the list.  :)  any info you have on the city would also be much appreciated!

askdawn

• View Profile

writergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »
Hey Yoda... I've lived in Louisville for a couple of years and will be starting law school there in August.  The city is very nice and I've really enjoyed living here.  Yes people wear shoes/have teeth/etc. etc.... you'll find a lot of people making Kentucky jokes on boards like this one but Louisville is actually a very progressive city.  Send me a personal message if you want more info.

Frank Barone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
I have family there (two lawyers) that love the city and the legal opportunities.  I've visited a few times in the last two years and have always had a lot of fun.  If it weren't for other family connections else where I would most likely be heading for UofL this fall.  Asst. Dean Cox was also the best administrator I dealt with throughout my application process.  He is a huge asset to the school.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
bump

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »
It's been five years, but:
Excellent bang for your buck in terms of cost of living
Pretty decent art/restaurant scene for a city of its size (particularly in its region)
Midwest weather (for better or worse)- I remember a December which never topped 32 F and summers with humid 98 F at 2 am
Nice people, if somewhat clannish
Not overly congested
Helps if you are married; even the professionals wed very young compared to the rest of the country
Some very cool neighborhoods (check around Bardstown Rd), surprisingly large alt scene (if you have a stereotypical view of KY
Kentucky Derby and the Oaks- though I vastly preferred Thunder- has to be experienced to be believed
Pretty beautiful area- though landlocked- the Ohio River is NOT an exciting body of water
Still, lots of hiking etc.

Edited: "clannish" in the Scottish sense- stick together (newcomers as outsiders). Nothing to do with ethnicity- sorry, didn't even occur to me. Agree with later poster that, unlike Cincinnati, race not such a huge issue.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 11:42:29 AM »

Nice people, if somewhat clannish

clannish or klanish?

/not flaming. curious

As a black guy from Kentucky, I can say the vast majority of people there aren't racist.  In fact, a white person from Louisville probably personally knows more black people than a white person from a supposedly more enlightened city like LA.