I'm in a similar situation to you....I think? I've been waitlisted at 6 schools including my top 3 (penn, wash u, unc, william & mary, maryland, american) and am really considering a Sept re-take/reapplication to a lot of schools. I'm also concerned about turning down the school I've sent a deposit to. It seems to me that you are reapplying because you don't necessarily want to go to the school you've put a deposit down for but you also don't want to turn it down and put too much pressure on yourself in the fall. My advice - if you're going to give this gauntlet of a process another go - start with a clean slate. If not, don't defer and go to your school in the fall. You don't want to be locked into a deferral should you do better and if you really wanted to go to the school you've sent a deposit into you wouldn't be thinking about deferring. As for financials, I wouldn't depend on getting anymore money with a deferral - they assume your coming with your current status but I could be wrong. Also, a lot of applications ask if you have any agreements with other law schools when you apply and you don't want to lie should you apply again/to other schools this fall. Not sure if this helps you at all but I hope everything works out!