Law School Discussion

Reasons to!

Re: Reasons to!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
I will be paying full sticker price at my law school starting this fall.  Although I got into my first choice school, I screwed up on the LSAT's logical reasoning questions because I did not study at all and lots of things were going in my life at the time.  To top it off, I applied fairly last minute.

With that said, I am not considering the "option" of deferring my admission, to which I already paid two seat deposits, to spend the next year studying for the LSAT with the hopes of getting a higher score and being offered more money.

First, a deferral is a deferral.  It is not a reapplication.  I don't think a school would consider you for more money because your file has already been reviewed and you have already been accepted.

Second, there is no guarantee that you will score higher on the LSAT or that you will be offered more money.

Third, unless you like your current job or whatever you are doing right now, remember that a year is a long time.  Some may not agree with this, but don't put your life off for 12 months.

I'm in the same boat and started a similar thread today...I think that the key word is commitment.  If you commit to making the most out of your year off, I think it could make all the difference in the world.  My school was overenrolled for the fall, but they said, "one wouldn't automatically keep a scholarship if deferring."

no joke about the bolded portion above.  I sooo want to defer, but at the same time am excited to start law school already!!!


Re: Reasons to!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »
A year is not that long of a time.  The past year has flown for me, and I am sure it has for a lot of you, too.  This is the rest of your life that we are talking about here; if you think that waiting a year can make a difference, I would say go for it.  You owe it to yourself.  When you eventually look back, an extra year of waiting is not going to mean all that much.

Re: Reasons to!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »
I'm in a similar situation to you....I think? I've been waitlisted at 6 schools including my top 3 (penn, wash u, unc, william & mary, maryland, american) and am really considering a Sept re-take/reapplication to a lot of schools. I'm also concerned about turning down the school I've sent a deposit to. It seems to me that you are reapplying because you don't necessarily want to go to the school you've put a deposit down for but you also don't want to turn it down and put too much pressure on yourself in the fall. My advice - if you're going to give this gauntlet of a process another go - start with a clean slate. If not, don't defer and go to your school in the fall. You don't want to be locked into a deferral should you do better and if you really wanted to go to the school you've sent a deposit into you wouldn't be thinking about deferring. As for financials, I wouldn't depend on getting anymore money with a deferral - they assume your coming with your current status but I could be wrong. Also, a lot of applications ask if you have any agreements with other law schools when you apply and you don't want to lie should you apply again/to other schools this fall. Not sure if this helps you at all but I hope everything works out!