Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE* ALSO POSTED IN ''WHERE SHOULD I GO NEXT FALL?"  (Read 1928 times)

MadameHeart

• View Profile
Hi :-)

I have graduated from highschool, soo now I am to decide what to take in college. ( oh joy ) I have came across the Legal Office Assisant program at a local college & found it quite interesting. I have no legal background in law but however am quite well in English, using the computer and do not feel I would have a problem learning the knowledge needed to be a Legal Assisant.

My question is to those more familiar with the background.. Is this a good decision to make? A young person with no legal background taking this program? I am self-motivated and do not feel I'd have a problem.

ALSO, it is  a Certificate program.( 1 Year) ( I know how controversial the topic is about legal assistants preparing for a career through a certificate/online education ) However, I believe the college offers a placement upon completion of the course. I am aware that some Legal Assistants have degrees from Universities for this career. It is sad to say that I did not prepare for a University education, so it not an option for me.

SOO, to those wonderful people who took the time to hear out my dilemma, what are your thoughts? please write back! Thank you so much for your input. :-)

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE* ALSO POSTED IN ''WHERE SHOULD I GO NEXT FALL?"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
I have absolutely noooo idea.

But before entering a program like this, why don't you look through the classified ads, and find a couple firms that are hiring legal assistants. Call them, and ask them what sort of background they are looking for in someone they would hire.

If they suggest a program such as the one you are looking at, ask which school you should get it from. 
I see some ads on tv for stuff like legal assisting and it looks soooo sketchy, however, I'd imagine the local community college might have a good program for the same thing, and even if you can't get into a University, you might be able to get into the local CC. Plus, if you ended up wanting to get a four-year degree, courses would be more likely to transfer?

I would definitely call several different firms to get their input! Let me know how it goes!

MadameHeart

• View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE* ALSO POSTED IN ''WHERE SHOULD I GO NEXT FALL?"
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. Thank you for suggesting it.:-)