Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rising Junior...fork in the road  (Read 938 times)

lawschool0192

• View Profile
Rising Junior...fork in the road
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »
I am a rising junior, and have a 3.229 GPA and practice tests 155 and 158. I am currently a Spanish major, and am almost done with the major classes (a semester or summer abroad would finish it off).

I am considering adding another major, but feel like I should probably just nurse my GPA by taking the easiest liberal arts classes possible until applications begin. Any thoughts?

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: Rising Junior...fork in the road
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »
you realize you send in a transcript with your application right?

You might get a bump in your GPA, but if the last half of your UG is like "cinematic studies," "television in the 1990s," "everyone poops," etc. It's not going to help you out any.

If anything adding another major would be more beneficial, then the "easiest liberal arts classes" --provided you do well enough.

well eggy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:59:39 PM »

You might get a bump in your GPA, but if the last half of your UG is like "cinematic studies," "television in the 1990s," "everyone poops," etc. It's not going to help you out any.

If anything adding another major would be more beneficial, then the "easiest liberal arts classes" --provided you do well enough.

The bold is not true.  While I wouldn't advocate sacrificing the quality of one's education with a view to improving one's GPA solely for law school apps, it doesn't hurt to keep your eye on the prize.

Now, if you can do as well (or better) in a second major, by all means, do it.  I kind of doubt you think that would be the case--otherwise, you wouldn't be asking.

Don't get burned out on the LSAT just yet, either.  Take it next summer if you intend to apply for LS enrollment immediately following UG.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:07:12 PM »
GPA is the only thing that matters with your grades/degree... trust me dood, take golf and the history of rock and roll... its a numbers game, play the system

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »

this is what law schools would have you believe.  I agree with well eggy ... getting that GPA up is what is important right now.  we can debate about the ethics or propriety of taking easy classes till the cows come home (thats around 1130pm)  but the plain and simple fact is that you need to get that GPA up.  And that LSAT.  I recommend taking a course ... my first practice exam was a 153, I went up 12 points.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »

this is what law schools would have you believe.  I agree with well eggy ... getting that GPA up is what is important right now.  we can debate about the ethics or propriety of taking easy classes till the cows come home (thats around 1130pm)  but the plain and simple fact is that you need to get that GPA up.  And that LSAT.  I recommend taking a course ... my first practice exam was a 153, I went up 12 points.

Top school seem to care about the classes you take. In the "How to get into the top law schools", there is a section where ad coms talk about majors, and most of them state that they prefer a person who took a range of classes outside your degree. I.E. math courses for an english major, etc.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »

Top school seem to care about the classes you take. In the "How to get into the top law schools", there is a section where ad coms talk about majors, and most of them state that they prefer a person who took a range of classes outside your degree. I.E. math courses for an english major, etc.

Further evidence to take History of Rock and Roll and Golf classes... those arent in ANYONE'S degree program!

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 12:34:48 AM »
ilovecheese,

As long as I'm completing a major (just like everyone else applying), then why does it matter? All of the easy liberal arts classes that I'm talking about are going to be electives from a variety of disciplines. Isn't that what most people applying do (finish major requirements and take electives)?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 01:40:47 AM »
Take classes that you truly enjoy, but avoid notoriously difficult courses/professors. You don't have to take blow-off classes to boost your GPA. I took a history class on post-war Europe, for example. Not a terribly difficult class by any means, and I enjoyed the subject matter. I got an A, and I don't think anybody will question that class on a transcript.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:46:57 AM »
ilovecheese,

As long as I'm completing a major (just like everyone else applying), then why does it matter? All of the easy liberal arts classes that I'm talking about are going to be electives from a variety of disciplines. Isn't that what most people applying do (finish major requirements and take electives)?

Well, I suggest you just take something outside your discipline if you can do well in those courses of course. It's true that most ppl take easy elective classes, but that's why you gotta do something different, so you wouldn't be like the most.