Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about Expected Contribution from FAFSA  (Read 770 times)

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about Expected Contribution from FAFSA
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »
The "Expected Family Contribution" that's on my SAR is insane - I'm on my own, not working anymore, trying to pay off some debt - there is no way I can contribute 10k/year to my tuition myself.  I'm 98% sure I'm going to Toledo and they should be getting my SAR within the next couple of weeks - is it a good idea to tell them now that there's no way I can could contribute the 10k/year (or really anything at all!), or is it better to wait until they send me the financial aid package that they've prepared?

Is anyone else having this problem - what are you doing? 
University of Toledo 0L

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Expected Contribution from FAFSA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »
The "Expected Family Contribution" that's on my SAR is insane - I'm on my own, not working anymore, trying to pay off some debt - there is no way I can contribute 10k/year to my tuition myself.  I'm 98% sure I'm going to Toledo and they should be getting my SAR within the next couple of weeks - is it a good idea to tell them now that there's no way I can could contribute the 10k/year (or really anything at all!), or is it better to wait until they send me the financial aid package that they've prepared?

Is anyone else having this problem - what are you doing? 

You can tell them ahead but most likely the answer would be that they cant do anything until they work on your file and award your package. I had an efc of I think of about 8K, not sure, but most schools understand how the FAFSA thing works. They'll probably still award you the maximum in stafford loans. ($20,500) and then the rest will be scholarship (if you're getting any) + Grad Plus. I think you'll be fine.
Washington University School of Law 2010

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about Expected Contribution from FAFSA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
Cool, thanks guys!  :)
University of Toledo 0L